Creek destiny any views?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I may have a chance to get an ex demo version of this amp foe £700 with a two year warranty. Is this a good deal ? Does anyone have any experience with this amp? It seems to have got some good reviews online is it any good?

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard it but I've read a review in a group test a couple of years ago (it's upstairs somewhere and will dig it out if you're interested). The impression I get is that it's a very, very good amp. For £700 and the used sale price of the CA you have, it's a worthy upgrade.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
It's a great amp, especially at that price. I have mine bi-amped with the stereo power amplifier (no longer available due to lack of demand).

But don't buy just because of the price. If it doesn't go well with the rest of your system or if you just don't find that there's much of an improvement on what you've got already then it's not really such a good bargain.

I find the Destiny a more neutral amp than my Technics SUA900 Mk II, i.e. not warm sounding. But very nicely controlled bass and crystal clear treble. It goes well with my Epos M22i and M12.2 speakers, a very dynamic and spacious sound. But with my Spendor S5e's the sound is more closed in (but good for listening to old recordings).

Please try before you buy and don't let the "thrill of the purchase" drive you, or the fact that you 'think' that you've selected the right amp because of the reviews you've read.

A

Anonymous

OK, group test, Hifi News, Feb '08.

On sound...

Arcam A32 50%
Creek Destiny 82% (lighter and more fluid than the Primare, delicate/sparkling top end, micro detailing)
Primare I30 88% (more bass power than the Creek)
Roksan Caspian 75%
Unison Secondo 55%

The Creek has less soul than others but has more precision, top-end sparkling detail and jaw-dropping soundstage. Hi res, light airy balance.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks very much for that igglebert, sounds like it has much of what my system has but more. I think I like a relatively neutral and detailed sound. I am hoping that I will be able to get a listen this week, I think they may let me home demo which would be great. Watch this space!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Alas my move to the Creek was not to be. My 12 year old panasonic CRT T.v has gone on the blink so just ordered myself a Panasonic 42v10 plasma so no funds for the amp. I went to have a look at the web site yesterday and it had gone already anyway. Think it's going to be a while before I have any more upgrades now (apart from a bluray player for Christmas perhaps ;-)).

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
"I have mine bi-amped with the stereo power amplifier (no longer available due to lack of demand)."
I didnt know that! I was hoping to do the same at some point in the future.
Are there any still available anywhere ?

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
zappa 100:"I have mine bi-amped with the stereo power amplifier (no longer available due to lack of demand)." I didnt know that! I was hoping to do the same at some point in the future. Are there any still available anywhere ?

I've not seen any whilst browsing the web. You could try contacting Creek directly and see if they've got any ex-demo units that they want to offload, or ask if they know of any distributors with remaining stock.

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
The Destiny was so called cos Mike Creek said it was his destiny to build an amp of such quality. But now the "improved " mk 2 has been released, surely his destiny was to build that?
Until the mk 3 appears..................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts