Credible CD alternative to a decent turntable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So in people's experiences, what's the first credible CDP alternative to a decent turntable? Primare CD31? Arcam CD38? Naim CD5X? Naim CDX2?

My Musical Fidelity XRay 8 is great but I think it lacks the dynamics of a half decent turntable.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Iggy, you just know that you are going to get bladdered by the naimites dont you. I have to be honest in saying that the only naim set up ive heard, and it realy was superb, was fronted by the CD555 nuff said eh. So if poss dem the swede.
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
In my (limited) experience...

Rega Apollo (now RRP £475 after recent Rega price-cuts)

Naim CD5i (but I would say that wouldn't I?) *

* I cannot vouch for the efficacy of the CD5i outside of a Naim system.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just re-read and realised you were talking about somewhat higher budget CDPs than I suggested.

The same Rega price-cut has also brought the Rega Saturn down from £1271 to a new RRP of £898. That has got to make it worth a listen. (WHF member 'True Blue' is expecting delivery of a new Rega Saturn any day soon - to use with his Nait XS - so I am sure he will be happy to give his impressions of it.)

I have also heard the Naim CD5X (with a Nait XS) but this is now the Naim CD5XS and costs about £1700 or so. Again, I have not heard it outside of a Naim set-up, but the CD5X/Nait XS was superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts