Cream live at the Royal Albert Hall - 2005

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Recorded this HD gig on sky arts channel last week - I have never been a big Clapton fan, always considering his best work to be with Cream (imo), so I was interested in watching this long-overdue re-union concert to see if they could still perform as that ultimate power trio.

The answer is "hell yes!" What a fantastic series of gigs. The virtuoso playing was brilliant yet not over-the-top, Baker, Bruce and Clapton seemed totally relaxed in each other's company and looked like they were having a ball, the set-list was well judged / paced with the running time being exactly right and the recording (audio & video) of the whole event superb. Think this will remain on my hard drive for some considerable time.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
I was lucky enough to be at one of those gigs

As was I - though I remember being quite distracted by how foxy Mark Butcher's wife was. They were in the row in front.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Simon Lucas:Clare Newsome:
I was lucky enough to be at one of those gigs

As was I - though I remember being quite distracted by how foxy Mark Butcher's wife was. They were in the row in front.

I'm very jealous.

You lucky lot - must have been a WHF night out?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
I was lucky enough to be at one of those gigs - totally superb.

Make that 3! The first night as well..

Finally understood what all the Clapton fuss was about. Much better with Cream than solo.

The highlight was Ginger Baker's drum solo, cigarette on - you just couldn't help wondering if he was going to keel over. Cracking.

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
I've always found Cream to be one of the most boring bands of the late sixties.
and watching this re-union on sky arts just confirmed that.
They seemed to just drone on and on for hours with unneccesary and uninspired solos.

Hope they've split up again!

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
TheLastManWithBetamax:I've always found Cream to be one of the most boring bands of the late sixties.
and watching this re-union on sky arts just confirmed that.
They seemed to just drone on and on for hours with unneccesary and uninspired solos.

Hope they've split up again!

My favourite music has been undergound/indie/punk rock for the last decade so I'm the last person who would enjoy sitting through hours of guitar solos - however I think the performance in this broadcast was pretty well balanced, only briefly veering towards unnecessary plankspankery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts