craigs list

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone here successfully brought 2nd hand hifi from craigs list?

I have thoughts but dont want to influence anyone. I first want to hear from people on here.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Has anyone here successfully brought 2nd hand hifi from craigs list?

I have thoughts but dont want to influence anyone. I first want to hear from people on here.

Tried to buy some PMC MB2i's from a guy advertising them in London but actually in Scotland. Alarm bell No.1. The price was amazing at just under £4K. Alarm bell No.2. Delivery only once payment made by BACS. Alarm bell No.3. I found the photos that were on Craig's List of the speakers also on 2nd Hand Hifi with a different sellers name. Alarm bell No.4. I asked for the guys landline No. but it was out of order. Alarm bell No. 5. I offered to drive from London to Scotland to get them, cash on collection, but he declined. Alarm bell No. 6.

NWTA I reckon if the seller is local and you can go in person to collect then no problem.

insider9

Didn't even go on Craigslist until I saw this thread. Now I have, I wish I hadn't. No hifi near Sheffield advertised but drugs and girls are apparently in high demand.

I have purchased second hand hifi via Gumtree and eBay successfully.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive had all the same alarm bells also for some (and there are lots available) of atc scm100asl.

Some of them are advertised as old style scm100a but then they are pictured with the latest amp pack.

I must be more patient but there are blatant criminals about. Really sad.

All i want is a good fair deal. Ill have to wait until some come on ebay. I missed a stunning 3 year old pair of 100asl just weeks ago. Over half the price of new also.

insider9

Some of conversions I had with sellers on Gumtree:

- Can the speakers be demoed?
- No, sorry sold the amp already
- I'd be happy to bring my amp
- There's no need really. They were working before we put them into storage few years ago...
- I'd still need to hear them working though
- I don't have the wire, anymore...

My best/worst demo was with a guy who insisted that Monitor Audio MA4 (circa 1978) had very good bass. Sadly, it was because both tweeters were blown. He'd swear he can hear them working though and it was how audiophile speakers should sound.

You can never be too careful. Most of the time the biggest bargains are sadly not bargains at all.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Some of conversions I had with sellers on Gumtree:

- Can the speakers be demoed? - No, sorry sold the amp already - I'd be happy to bring my amp - There's no need really. They were working before we put them into storage few years ago... - I'd still need to hear them working though - I don't have the wire, anymore...

My best/worst demo was with a guy who insisted that Monitor Audio MA4 (circa 1978) had very good bass. Sadly, it was because both tweeters were blown. He'd swear he can hear them working though and it was how audiophile speakers should sound.

You can never be too careful. Most of the time the biggest bargains are sadly not bargains at all.

*ROFL* That's made my evening. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts