Crackles and Pops

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hope you all had a good Christmas! I've just set up my new Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB DC turntable and I'm really pleased with the sound quality. Its definitely an upgrade on my Debut Carbon. One thing I have notice though is you seem to get more crackles and pops between tracks. Is this because the cartridge is more sensitive than my old turntable?

I'm listening to a brand new albulm (Bob Marley Legend) but it is really crackly. Would it help if I cleaned my records with a Spin Clean?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

You could try cleaning it, but from my experience, if a new record crackles and pops, it's a bad pressing and should be exchanged.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy your new turntable! If you're hearing crackles where you didn't hear them with your old turntable, it might be that if this is a more expensive set-up, the new cartridge has a finer tip and therefore get deeper down into the groove than your old one did, which can reveal sound (including, sometimes, crackles) you'd never heard before.

I have had impressives results from cleaning brand-new LPs, but as Big Bern says, it's quite likely that the crackles are there to stay. It might be worth cleaning it before taking it back, as there's a chance you will rescue it. However, I'm not impressed in general with the quality of current pressings - there are some good ones, but there are far too many bad ones.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
It seems that the Bob Marley record is a poor pressing. I tied cleaning it but no real improvement, however I've just tried another new record and its perfect.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Most records just need a clean - even new ones can have all sorts of residue left from the manufacturing process. If the record is scratched, there's not much you can do about that, but if the noises are caused by static, dust, or dirt, it can be removed with a good cleaning device.

Generally, new records are very good - I bought the other half an album for Christmas, which plays flawlessly on a Rega RP1 PP, without a single crackle or pop.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I've thought about getting a Spin Clean Vinyl Washer. Does anyone have any experience of them and are they worth nearly £80?

Wouldn't distilled water, isopropylalcohol mix and a soft cloth work just as well?

AntAxon said:
I've thought about getting a Spin Clean Vinyl Washer. Does anyone have any experience of them and are they worth nearly £80?

Wouldn't distilled water, isopropylalcohol mix and a soft cloth work just as well?

In my opinion no. You need something with brushes to get into those grooves. I use the Knosti Antistat, however if you don't have much in the way of albums it might be worthwhile trying to find a local dealer with a record cleaning machine. Mine charges a pound to clean one.

Cleaning fluid mixes have been discussed on the forum in the past, if you do an internet search you will find some. Most contain a wetting agent of some kind.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I use the Knosti as well, and find it excellent for the price. It's a lot more work than a motor-driven device, but with care you can get excellent results.

Here's an earlier thread discussing that machine and cleaning fluid options.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
It is interesting that people are recommending the Knosti rather than the Spin Clean. I had thought that it might be too cheap to be any good. I have quite a few records as I'm old enough to have bought them back in the 70s and just started collecting again. Some of my old records would really benefit from a good clean!

I think I will buy a Knosti.

Many thanks to you and Mr Ears

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Knosti keeps the labels dry, the spin clean doesn't, otherwise they're quite similar. Go for the Knosti.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
On close inspection of my copy of Legend I found it had scuffs, fingerprints (not mine) and a covering of dust. Cleaning did not help much so I took it back to Tesco for a refund.

I ordered a new copy from Amazon which has just arrived. Before I did anything else I inspected the record and its exactly the same as first. I don't think much of the qualty control where they manufacture the record.

If you have a Crosley Cruiser you may be okay with the quality but if you have anything half decent I would give Legend a miss.

TRENDING THREADS