Crackle culprit?

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Just tried connecting Raumfeld connector to AVI DM9. Sounds good using analogue connection but with toslink there's a nasty crackle every few seconds!

i don't have a CD player with toslink to be able to rule one party or other out of this yet, but who's your money on in terms of the culprit?!

i hope to find an AppleTV to use as an alternative source. If that crackles, then my AVIs must be duds!!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Just tried connecting Raumfeld connector to AVI DM9. Sounds good using analogue connection but with toslink there's a nasty crackle every few seconds!

i don't have a CD player with toslink to be able to rule one party or other out of this yet, but who's your money on in terms of the culprit?!

i hope to find an AppleTV to use as an alternative source. If that crackles, then my AVIs must be duds!!

try connecting tv

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Connected AppleTV and clean as a whistle. Must be the Raumfeld....

It is most likely the Toslink connectors, there seems to be some variation between Toslink plugs and sockets that are known to cause issues of this type.

I have run my Raumfeld into my Oppo headphone amp, Toslink to mini Toslink, without issue.

See if you can try another Toslink cable, btw, are you using a used cable that came with the speakers?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Possibly dust in the socket maybe? I think that crackling can be a symptom of a dirty optical socket or connector.

It might be worth giving them a quick blow to see if you can shift any tiny specks of dust or dirt with air.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I did try different cables, and different sockets on the AVI end. I did not attempt to clean the socket on the Raumfeld, but will do so when I next connect!

Thanks all

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
This problem has been solved by telling the Raumfeld to use a fixed clock on the digital output. Not quite sure what the other sort of clock it was using before, but it weren't much good!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
thumbsup.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
This problem has been solved by telling the Raumfeld to use a fixed clock on the digital output. Not quite sure what the other sort of clock it was using before, but it weren't much good!

As a fellow Raumfeld user, can you explain what you did in a little more detail?

I have had no issues so far but I would be delighted to expand my understanding on how this device works.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Well, I didn't work it out myself - I sent an email to support mentioning the crackle and they suggested it. They also suggested reducing the max bit rate to 48kHz, but that wasn't necessary.

I can only assume that there is the option for some negotiated bitrate and the AVI doesn't support it? All sounds a little odd and I will follow up with Raumfeld.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Well, I didn't work it out myself - I sent an email to support mentioning the crackle and they suggested it. They also suggested reducing the max bit rate to 48kHz, but that wasn't necessary.

I can only assume that there is the option for some negotiated bitrate and the AVI doesn't support it? All sounds a little odd and I will follow up with Raumfeld.

I have had a good rummage around in the settings and found how to do this, very handy.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts