Couple of things

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
My Rocksan K2 amp Went in to have the internal fuse changed which I blown through having a move around. For any other K2 owners The fuse is on the outside of the device. IT is located in the mains lead socket there is a flap to open.

Anyway: I Thought it be away a few days. In panic looked around for a cheap stand by amp. Then finding nothing in Gumtree. Went to richer sounds. Bought a Yamaha A-S201. Such a treat opening a new box. Its just like Christmas. I could happily open a new one everyday. But thats beside the point. When the packing was of I took my new purchase out. Was surprised just how light it was. In fact The box feels more weight than the amp. Anyway quite lovely unit to look at I felt it was made of very light tin. The speaker outputs reminded me of The speaker posts on the B&W DM302 Turn them four times and they break. Most DM302 i seen for sale second hand, have all have the plastic lug of the speaker post broken. Set it all up plugged my Roksan k2 cd player in, Running Monitor Audio S1. turned the unit on opted for the pure audio mode. Was presently surprised with what i had bought. 100x100 RMS amp for £149 i played Steely Dan's gaucho and Some Brett Dennen and Victoria Williams superb album Water To Drink Then the dixi chicks Taking The long Way Back. Such a superb album. Well Done Ladies. So we had a bit of a mixture. Yamaha was fine. Played a few Flac files Via the DVD player. Sounded great. No problem that's with nothing to compare it to.

Then to my surprise i had two days of the Yamaha I really gave it a good road test. Telephone rang Roksan back was being brought back by a cheerful polish man said it was the fuse. Then it was my turn to not be cheerful when he said £20 will cover it. The Roksan sat for a while to get it to room temperature. I carried on playing the Yamaha. Still beaming , Delighted big smiles. Then I put Roksan back into line. Do you no what guys and gal's The Roksan blew me away. The sound. was amazing compared to what i just been enjoying. I can put it into words. You felt the power if that sounds strange the bass was powerhouse speaker moving. This is at a moderate volume. The Tone. To the guys that like tone controls. You know you wind back the bass push the treble round to full to give it that brilliance. Well you dont have to on an amp of this quality its there. That brilliance your looking for. The bass is there . when it needs to be. Anyone know what i mean?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The saying goes "You will never miss what isn't there". Unless you're an audiophile, of course.
teeth_smile.gif

Enjoy music!
thumbs_up.gif

matthewpiano

It all depends how much you like the hyped-up sound that seems to be popular at present. I have issues with most Naim gear I've heard in this respect and also with Roksan amps, though not with their CD players. They often sound like the bass and treble are both on +1 to me and I find it tiring.

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
yes your Both quite right I had my Roksan set up for a good while, But the point I was making i suppose is You do not realise you get lax you get complacent . Take it for granted if you like. funny an amp I had for 3 years or more now knocking me of my stool so to speak. It bought it home to me what a great amp I owned .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
my K2. I have a few slight niggles concerning it, mainly volume control hum and a remote that still decides when and where it will work. I have it paired with an earlier addition Roksan power amp and to my ears they sing beatifully together through the PMC's.

Until the recent price drop I was considering letting it go to help fund an upgrade, as I'd now I'd get peanuts for it I'm happy to keep. Part of my curiosity concerning a possible future upgrade was hearing the negative comments of others on here. The K2 appears to attract a fair amount of criticism and unwittingly I've soaked this up. I will eventually upgrade of course but for now I intend to simply enjoy what I have. The K2 even in it's most basic guise (non BT) a very good amp to listen to and obviously a thing of real beauty! ;-)

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
my K2. I have a few slight niggles concerning it, mainly volume control hum and a remote that still decides when and where it will work. I have it paired with an earlier addition Roksan power amp and to my ears they sing beatifully together through the PMC's.

Until the recent price drop I was considering letting it go to help fund an upgrade, as I'd now I'd get peanuts for it I'm happy to keep. Part of my curiosity concerning a possible future upgrade was hearing the negative comments of others on here. The K2 appears to attract a fair amount of criticism and unwittingly I've soaked this up. I will eventually upgrade of course but for now I intend to simply enjoy what I have. The K2 even in it's most basic guise (non BT) a very good amp to listen to and obviously a thing of real beauty! ;-)

I don't think the K2 received much negativity when you go searching. It just slipped under the radar a bit. Press reviews were very positive and any negative forum comments appear to be down to speaker pairing issues/ personal preference more than anything. It looks far better than pictures can capture, has a nice retro vibe to it. Above all sounds amazing.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
luckylion100 said:

I don't think the K2 received much negativity when you go searching. It just slipped under the radar a bit. Press reviews were very positive and any negative forum comments appear to be down to speaker pairing issues/ personal preference more than anything. It looks far better than pictures can capture, has a nice retro vibe to it. Above all sounds amazing.

Ps Do you have the newer RMX 1118 remote? I heard the older touch screen remote isn't great. The new one is very responsive, doesn't beep more importantly, so you should try to pick one up. Regarding value the cut price offers appear to be finished now. RS still have it advertised at £399 but don't actually have any left in stock. I imagine your selling price should be based on full price rather than the abnormally low cut price. That was just a blip clearing stock for the new K3.

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Dexxas wrote

My remote screen glass has a hairline crack in it. i had it 2 years I have been told by her in doors And i only just noticed the jack input in the side for connecting it to the website for programing I know about the RMX-111 remote and the usb port in the battery compartment . I cant get the cd to stop paying using the large remote. No complaints no hums anywhere. My only niggle is i never heard it loud, as i have it as loud as i need it , which is around twenty two on the volume any louder and the neighbours would complain. Can i make a suggestion to the guy with a hum. If you have any banana plugs around get a bit of speaker wire and connect the earth on the amp banana plugs fit in them . That you use fto earth your record deck .to the earth they provide on the cd player , sorry thats if you have the k2 cd player

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
dexxas said:
Dexxas wrote

My remote screen glass has a hairline crack in it. i had it 2 years I have been told by her in doors And i only just noticed the jack input in the side for connecting it to the website for programing I know about the RMX-111 remote and the usb port in the battery compartment . I cant get the cd to stop paying using the large remote. No complaints no hums anywhere. My only niggle is i never heard it loud, as i have it as loud as i need it , which is around twenty two on the volume any louder and the neighbours would complain. Can i make a suggestion to the guy with a hum. If you have any banana plugs around get a bit of speaker wire and connect the earth on the amp banana plugs fit in them . That you use fto earth your record deck .to the earth they provide on the cd player , sorry thats if you have the k2 cd player

I did something similar with a speaker humming Nait 5si I briefly owned. I cut and stripped the wire of a single RCA cable. I plugged the phono plug into a spare input and connected the bare wire to a screw on the amp chasis. This effectively grounded the signal path to the chasis. Hum was completly gone. I think there are sometimes conflicts between equipment. In my case the amp expected the source to ground the signal, but my source expected the amp to ground the signal through the chasis. I picked this up on the Naim forum, I presume it's safe to do.

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Question im sure your answer for me Apart From Ebay What high street shop would One find Speaker sleaving I bought some on ebay very cheap for pennies , but got waylaid about thickness of the stuff to buy I did several attempts. I actualy want to see the stuff i am buying

This is the stuff I am asking about https://www.wirecare.com/Braided-sleeving.asp

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for the suggestions to get rid of the annoying hum. I had a spare rca cable and it did the trick perfectly. Thanks again. ;-)

[/quote]

I did something similar with a speaker humming Nait 5si I briefly owned. I cut and stripped the wire of a single RCA cable. I plugged the phono plug into a spare input and connected the bare wire to a screw on the amp chasis. This effectively grounded the signal path to the chasis. Hum was completly gone. I think there are sometimes conflicts between equipment. In my case the amp expected the source to ground the signal, but my source expected the amp to ground the signal through the chasis. I picked this up on the Naim forum, I presume it's safe to do.

[/quote]

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Many thanks for the suggestions to get rid of the annoying hum. I had a spare rca cable and it did the trick perfectly. Thanks again. ;-)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Glad to help, I think alot of systems suffer from easily fixed humming issues. I had contacted Naim themselves when I came across this fix and they gave it the thumbs up. Some of their amps actually have a switch on the back to choose between source and chasis signal grounding. Many sources are ungrounded which causes the issue.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I dreaded going anywhere near the volume control. Tonight I feel like I've a new amp, the change is amazing! Such a simple solution too, many thanks again.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
dexxas said:
yes your Both quite right I had my Roksan set up for a good while, But the point I was making i suppose is You do not realise you get lax you get complacent . Take it for granted if you like. funny an amp I had for 3 years or more now knocking me of my stool so to speak. It bought it home to me what a great amp I owned .

I couldn't agree more. When we first get our great hifi equipment we are often blown away, but after awhile we get used to the sound and start to take it for granted. I've had similar reality checks to what you've described. And BTW, always really liked the K2 amp.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive got roksan k2 and i find it very neutral. I was a keen nad fan but when i compared the k2 to the nad 375bee the nad sounded like the bass had been turned on full compared to the roksan. Both amps sounded good though

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks

You have to be very careful Jaxwired . This applies to your speakers. There is a theory that why should you change your speakers if you like them. The power of advertizing. What Hi fi was praising the Tannoy V4. I bought some as Richer was selling them for £199.99 I thought if there that good I will have those. Got them home Thought they were awful and they stayed awful. When I bought them I had my Monitor Audio S1 in line in heavy stands filled with Cat litter. (50p a bag in Asda) They sound fantastic. But power of advertizing and reading a hi fi magazine made me go out and buy those Tannoy. Thank goodness I kept the M/a I can honesely say hand on heart it was a downgrade purchase not an upgrade. I have a pair of Tannoy F3 which I"n my opinion" outperform the V4 in every respect in bass and treble lovely speaker. "In my opinion". There in line in the living room fronting a Nad c320 They are a lovely speaker.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
jaxwired said:
dexxas said:

I couldn't agree more. When we first get our great hifi equipment we are often blown away, but after awhile we get used to the sound and start to take it for granted. I've had similar reality checks to what you've described. And BTW, always really liked the K2 amp.

I agree. It's as if our ears (or brain) gets tired of listening to the same thing and craves further experience. I've been fortunate in that as I made changes to my system last year (I bought a Devialet 200) I just couldn't let my old Valve Amp go, and have ended up with two systems. (having recently bought some excellent second-hand Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's). Now I can swap things around between systems and rooms.

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
The chap i sold my Tannoy V4 has since come back to me on the sale. and Told me he thinks they are very good.. He running a cyrus amp and rega Cd player. With careful positioning . Which is nearer the wall. He found them very good indeed. Has invited me to come and listen to them on his setup.

With this sale I found a new friend. Someone within my age group someone who likes the same music as me. The sale turned out much better than expected.

TRENDING THREADS