Could TCL's next flagship Mini LED TV be too bright?

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
"Could TCL's next flagship Mini LED TV be too bright?" -- no. The whole point of high brightness is to reproduce bright environments. If a scene is set on a beautiful Caribbean beach, the director wants to get you as close as possible to feeling the sun beating down... for the glints of the sun on the waves to make you feel like you're there.

Wales1

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
"Could TCL's next flagship Mini LED TV be too bright?" -- no. The whole point of high brightness is to reproduce bright environments. If a scene is set on a beautiful Caribbean beach, the director wants to get you as close as possible to feeling the sun beating down... for the glints of the sun on the waves to make you feel like you're there.
On a rainy day in Wales I don't care how bright that Caribbean beach is I definitely won't feel I'm there lol.

If a scene is set on a beautiful Caribbean beach, the director wants to get you as close as possible to feeling the sun beating down... for the glints of the sun on the waves to make you feel like you're there.
I'm a big fan of HDR and I know what you mean, but I wonder whether the eye sees it in the same way. A bright sky is coming at you from all directions, whereas the TV is from a small area (even when it's a good-sized screen), usually surrounded by considerably darker areas. Does the iris react in exactly the same way?

Friesiansam

I don’t care what the director wants, I watch at a comfortable brightness for me and, I don’t want to have to wear sunglasses whilst watching the TV.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
On a rainy day in Wales I don't care how bright that Caribbean beach is I definitely won't feel I'm there lol.
On a rainy day anywhere in 🇬🇧 it's a struggle but maybe with a heat lamp too? :wink:

I'm a big fan of HDR and I know what you mean, but I wonder whether the eye sees it in the same way. A bright sky is coming at you from all directions, whereas the TV is from a small area (even when it's a good-sized screen), usually surrounded by considerably darker areas. Does the iris react in exactly the same way?
The iris response probably isn't the same but it would be close enough to fool our monkey brains 😎

I don’t care what the director wants, I watch at a comfortable brightness for me and, I don’t want to have to wear sunglasses whilst watching the TV.
Perhaps you'd be more comfortable going back to a 12" B&W TV? 😝

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
No! I do however, remember having a small B&W TV, I was 5 when the BBC started a colour service…
Only a little younger. We had a 12" B&W as our only TV until the late 70s when we could finally afford a 14" colour set :)

On the high nits front, don't worry. Directors aren't trying to leave you blinking away after-images — well, most aren't — what they want is for you to have lots of "wow" moments... to get you emotionally engaged with the visuals :love:

That's part of their job :)

TRENDING THREADS