Could someone diagnose my amp problem??!!

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi all!
I have a NAD C352 bought from superfi only a few months ago so still in warranty. I was listening today when there was a static-ey sound from the R channel and then nothing - the left channel continued ok. I thought it might be a loose connection so fiddled with the speakers the wires, connectors etc and no change. i swapped the speaker cables on the back of the amp round and no sound from the other speaker this time concluding that speakers and cable were ok, and did similar tests with everything else with similar results. If i turn the volume right up the music plays very very faintly.....has some circuitry gone on the amp?? There was no loud pop or burning smell just a static-ey type of noise (like a loose connection).

I don't want to have to trudge all the way back to superfi if I'm missing something obvious!

Cheers gang!

Matt

A

Anonymous

If I read that correctly you said you swapped speaker cables over and no sound from other speaker this time?

If so how did you conclude the cables are OK?ÿ

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Youve done all the basic tests there mate, im afraid its 'trudge' time for you..........................

(unless you didnt properly check the speaker cables??)

Having said that. I have an Arcam A85 that I managed to 'short circuit' by accident! The noise was unbelievable and I couldnt get it working prperly again. yet when I took it to the shop (still under warranty too though I never told em id short circuited it :p) they wired it up and it was fine! Perhaps just leave an hour to cool down and see then? (Though your problem is almost certainly something 'fried' in the amp)

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
Youve done all the basic tests there mate, im afraid its 'trudge' time for you..........................

No it's not.ÿ

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
If I read that correctly you said you swapped speaker cables over and no sound from over speaker this time?

If so how did you conclude the cables are OK?ÿ

Octopo,

Basically a swapped them round on the back of the amp and this time there was no sound from the other speaker (not the original one) - so the same cables/speaker combo in a different channel on the amp worked ok, when the ones that HAD worked, now didn't!!??

Cheers, Matt

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
So, what's the procedure then? Will I have to wait for it to be repaired? Its only 4-5 months old. The website is showing none in stock? Could I get my money back - should I get a better amp??!!

A

Anonymous

Phone them up and speak to them.

But it's broken and it's in warranty so this is a good thing.

Were you happy with the NAD before it died?ÿ

daveh75

not sure if this is the case with nad amps, but some amps have internal fuses on outputs, sounds as if one may have blown, but i'm no expert, seein as its still under warranty take it back mate

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

(unless you didnt properly check the speaker cables??)

Having said that. I have an Arcam A85 that I managed to 'short circuit' by accident! The noise was unbelievable and I couldnt get it working prperly again. yet when I took it to the shop (still under warranty too though I never told em id short circuited it :p) they wired it up and it was fine! Perhaps just leave an hour to cool down and see then? (Though your problem is almost certainly something 'fried' in the amp)

"No no, it's not dead, it's resting. Remarkable amp the Nad C352... beautiful wiring."

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
OK something else i've discovered - I've always found that when I mute my amp I get a very slight hum out of both speakers - this still happens out of both sides despite the fact that one side still only plays very very very quietly??!!

Phoned my local superfi (

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Why didn't the whole message post?? anyway,

Phoned my local superfi (about a mile from my house) - Apparently I cant just pop in for an exchange cos i bought it off their internet site, instead I have to repackage it take time off work - go to the post office - wait a week - take more time off work waiting for it to be redelivered etc etc GRRRRRRRRRR. Surely I could just pop in getting it all sorted in less than 10 minutes??

A

Anonymous

Is SuperFi a Franchised operation does anybody know? If yes than that makes sense. If no then I can't see why they won't help you.

TRENDING THREADS