Cost of your setup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
CnoEvil said:
MajorFubar said:
Rightly or wrongly I've formed the opinion over many years of swapping boxes that one has to double the price of something to achive anything more than a sideways move or modest improvement that often isn't great value for money.
I have also arrived at that same conclusion (all things being equal)....and said so many times on here.

And even then, there are no guarantees. Care and judgment are still needed. And with each doubling, the improvement diminishes in my experience.

Quite. The only exception might be emerging-technologies which tend to get cheaper as they mature and become more mainstream. So what £3000 buys you this year could easily be <£1500 next year. But with traditional passive speakers I think we can rule that out.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
Good to hear you're still holding on to the EB2's, just wish I had the foresight to have kept mine.
Indeed. Rightly or wrongly I've formed the opinion over many years of swapping boxes that one has to double the price of something to achive anything more than a sideways move or modest improvement that often isn't great value for money. So it's likely I'll be keeping them for the foreseeable future until something now £2k-£3k finds itself in my price backet. When the EB2s were initially reviewed, WHF all but said they gave other speakers under a grand a good schooling, and I think they only missed out on a Best Speaker <£1,000 Award because of doubts surrounding supply-demand, which were apparent even then.

Those speakers were bought direct from the manufacturer I believe? That is an advantage pricewise but then auditioning and waiting time were disadvatages.

Under £3k is what I paid. And worth every penny.

Doesnt stop me looking for my next investment though.

Once ive paid the car off, I'll be upgrading again. It will be for my 50th, so probably my final setup. And hopefully the one I get more use of.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Gazzip said:
Current setup £40K. Previous £75K. Current better in every way. Both would defecate from a great height on any £3K system.

Gazzip, can you please remind us what your current £40k system is and what your £75k system was?

And do you really mean ANY £3k system?

Current - Devialet 800 - PMC Fact 12's - Bel Canto CD2 + external PS - Moon MiND streamer - Project Xtension with Cadenza Black, external PS and SUT.

Previous - ARC Ref5SE - Bryston 28BSST2's - ARC Ref9CD/DAC - PMC BB5SE's

Yes, any £3K system. £3K speakers will not get close to Fact 12's or BB5SE's. Different world of sound. Simple as that.

BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
Good to hear you're still holding on to the EB2's, just wish I had the foresight to have kept mine.
Indeed. Rightly or wrongly I've formed the opinion over many years of swapping boxes that one has to double the price of something to achive anything more than a sideways move or modest improvement that often isn't great value for money. So it's likely I'll be keeping them for the foreseeable future until something now £2k-£3k finds itself in my price backet. When the EB2s were initially reviewed, WHF all but said they gave other speakers under a grand a good schooling, and I think they only missed out on a Best Speaker <£1,000 Award because of doubts surrounding supply-demand, which were apparent even then.

Those speakers were bought direct from the manufacturer I believe? That is an advantage pricewise but then auditioning and waiting time were disadvatages.

I guess they may be disadvantages but reading the various write ups and specifications of these speakers I bought them unauditioned. The wait meant nothing really as I got in the queue early and was quite happy to use my 685's until they turned up.

The savings were quite considerable when you consider what dealers mark ups can be so I would consider you're going to have to spend three times the amount to better them if buying new through a dealer.

Can I have your system please Gazzip.lol.Although the fact 12's might just be a bit much for my room.those bb5's are ugly looking brutes of things if the pictures are anything to be judged by.But I'm sure they are function over form and would have sounded amazing,I'm guessing that's why you changed over to the fact 12's.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Can I have your system please Gazzip.lol.Although the fact 12's might just be a bit much for my room.those bb5's are ugly looking brutes of things if the pictures are anything to be judged by.But I'm sure they are function over form and would have sounded amazing,I'm guessing that's why you changed over to the fact 12's.

I changed the whole system when our second child was born. Listening room became a nursery... Grrrrrrr...

I actually prefer the general sound of the Fact 12's. I do however miss the effortless low end of the BB5SE's.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Not counting cables, my system cost me £2250.00, a mixture of new, end of line and 2nd hand. If I'd bought everything as new then the cost would have been about £3500. My best deal was for my Creek amp which was retailing for £1200 and then when it was discontinued I picked up a brand new one from Lintone Audio for £650.

I bought the Caiman back in December last year, but other than that I've not bought anything serious for getting on 4 years now.

I've bought a few pairs of old (70's/80's era) speakers over the last couple of years off the likes of Gumtree and other forums just to see what they were like, and then sold them all on either at cost or at a small profit.

Should I ever be in the market for a new amp anytime soon (not likely to be honest) I think I'd go for a NVA pre/power combo. I heard a set a few months ago with my speakers and they are fantastic value for money, though I'm not sure I could live without a remote control.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Current - Devialet 800 - PMC Fact 12's - Bel Canto CD2 + external PS - Moon MiND streamer - Project Xtension with Cadenza Black, external PS and SUT.

Yes, any £3K system. £3K speakers will not get close to Fact 12's or BB5SE's. Different world of sound. Simple as that.

What if we're talking about a pre 1983 recording, and I have the 2 track master tapes (in good condition) or master tape copies? And we're playing them on an Studer (bought for £800)?

And what if the speakers are one of those once in a lifetime finds? Such as Woodog (AKA Forrest's) $75 EV Patrician 800's?

But we could also include those lovely DIY open baffles that were at Scalford this year. The ones with 12", 15" and 18" drivers in them.

Or a 2nd hand pair of Klipschorns or Altec Model 19's, or Quad Electrostatics etc etc etc.

Would you still be confident that your systems would sound better than that sort of a £3k system?

OK I know I've sort of, kind of, cheated a little bit with my proposed £3k systems, but you did say ANY £3k system.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Gazzip said:

What if we're talking about a pre 1983 recording, and I have the 2 track master tapes (in good condition) or master tape copies? And we're playing them on an Studer (bought for £800)?

And what if the speakers are one of those once in a lifetime finds? Such as Woodog (AKA Forrest's) $75 EV Patrician 800's?

But we could also include those lovely DIY open baffles that were at Scalford this year. The ones with 12", 15" and 18" drivers in them.

Or a 2nd hand pair of Klipschorns or Altec Model 19's, or Quad Electrostatics etc etc etc.

Would you still be confident that your systems would sound better than that sort of a £3k system?

OK I know I've sort of, kind of, cheated a little bit with my proposed £3k systems, but you did say ANY £3k system.

Klipschorns would be resoundly beaten due to a limited FR.

Altec Model 19's, see above.

Quad Electrostatics, see above.

The others are outside of my sphere of knowledge I'm afraid, but you know your Hifi sir!

D

Deleted member 2457

Bit rude asking a bunch of strangers how much their system costs! Quite frankly it's none of your business.

D

Deleted member 2457

Gazzip said:
gel said:
Bit rude asking a bunch of strangers how much their system costs! Quite frankly it's none of your business.

...but you list yours in your signature?
Not the price, I don't.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
gel said:
Are you feeling as grumpy as I am today? *sad*
Yep. I am pissed off with my new doctor as well. I don't mind people I know asking personal questions but complete strangers don't sit well with me for some reason.

No offence meant though.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Klipschorns would be resoundly beaten due to a limited FR.

Altec Model 19's, see above.

Quad Electrostatics, see above.

The others are outside of my sphere of knowledge I'm afraid, but you know your Hifi sir!
Klipschorns have a specified frequency response of 35hz to 17.5 khz +/- 3 dbs.

What are the 3 db figures for PMC Fact 12's?

Edit: found the answer to my question. Fact 12's have a FR of 40 hz to 12 khz +/- 3 dbs.

So PMC Fact 12's would actually be beaten, due to a limited FR!!!!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
gel said:
CnoEvil said:
gel said:
Are you feeling as grumpy as I am today? *sad*
Yep. I am pissed off with my new doctor as well. I don't mind people I know asking personal questions but complete strangers don't sit well with me for some reason.

No offence meant though.
Viz Top Tip.

We should provide our addresses in this thread so that anyone interested would know where to come for a listen.

And we should also say what times we normally work so that they will know when's a good time to catch us in.

And where we hide the spare key, so they can pop in for a listen in case we get held up in traffic on the way home...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
tino said:
I set a notional £500 for each component in my system(s) -

CD Transport, DAC, Streamer, Tuner, Turntable, Tone Arm, Cartridge, Phono Stage, Pre Amp, Power Amp, NAS Drive, Cassette deck, Docking Station, Headphone Amp, Headphones, Stereo Speakers, AV Amp, Rear Speakers, Centre Speaker, Subwoofer, Free Sat recorder, DVD Player, TV, Rack, cables.

That £12K

Streamer + Amp + Speakers + accesories < £1500

Don't need all the other gubbins.

Nos

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
gel said:
I did except at least one to take it the wrong way! Thanks for listing your setup, when I have time I will work the cost out.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Rrp is about £20k =o

Paid nowhere near that but taking into account all the money spent on "upgrades" over the years it probably is not far from that. Dont tell the wife but then I don't smoke or drink lol.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nos said:
gel said:
I did except at least one to take it the wrong way! Thanks for listing your setup, when I have time I will work the cost out.
Now we are not strangers about 12K - it's my only hobby and I don't own much else. Had my home cinema system for over 8 years now and plan to keep my TV for the same period.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts