Correct crossover frequency

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I need some help, or rather this is for my bro. He has an onkyo tx-sr606, Pioneer S-CR50A satellites, a Panasonic DMP-BD50, and a Pioneer S-W110s sub. The problem is i find the sound when playing movies a bit too boomy. I have a feeling the crossover hasn't been set correctly. It is my understanding that the sub should only produce sound when there is an LFE effect, otherwise it should be quiet.

The Subwoofer frequency range is 30-200Hz

The front and rear satellites is 90-20KHz

The centre is 80-20KHz

What should I set the crossover frequency on the amp and the sub to?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
skularatna:
I need some help, or rather this is for my bro. He has an onkyo tx-sr606, Pioneer S-CR50A satellites, a Panasonic DMP-BD50, and a Pioneer S-W110s sub. The problem is i find the sound when playing movies a bit too boomy. I have a feeling the crossover hasn't been set correctly. It is my understanding that the sub should only produce sound when there is an LFE effect, otherwise it should be quiet.

The Subwoofer frequency range is 30-200Hz

The front and rear satellites is 90-20KHz

The centre is 80-20KHz

What should I set the crossover frequency on the amp and the sub to?

I would say around 120-140.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for about 100Hz on the receiver's crossover, or just set all the other speakers to small, and set the sub's crossover to its maxium setting, or LFE if it has such a setting.

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Just had a look on the onkyo setup screen. And here are the settings.

Subwoofer = Yes

Front = Full Band

Center = 150Hz

Surround = 120Hz

Surround Back = None

LP of LFE = 100Hz

Double Bass On

The turnover (crossover) dial on the sub is set to 100Hz with the volume at the 12 O'clock position

Considering the satelitles frequency range is from 90Hz-20KHz and the centre is 80Hz-20Khz Shouldn't the values above be set to:

Front = 90Hz

Center = 80Hz

Surround= 90Hz

And the sub set to lower than 90Hz so it only picks up sounds less than 90Hz and that way it wont rubmle unless it needs to. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick with this?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, set the sub to its maximum frequency setting, so it's running full-range and the receiver is doing all the crossing over (crossovering?)

Then I'd experiment with taking the front, centre and surround crossovers down to 100Hz or so, and killing the double bass. Have a listen and see how it is - if you don't like it go back to the settings the Audyssey system has made, and try those. But teave the sub's own crossover set to maximum, so the receiver's filtering is doing the work.

From those settings it looks like the receiver is running the front speakers full-range (ie as 'large' speakers, and rolling off the bass from the centre and surrounds at highish, but not unreasonable, levels.

But I'd try it with the settings I've suggested above.

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
thanks for that andrew...it worked a treat now the sub only makes a noise when there is a LFE on the film. I also readjusted all my speaker levels using an SPL and tested out several films in DD, DDTHD, DTS, DTSMA. Sounds much better, the sense of surround awareness is much better than it was.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Glad I could help
emotion-1.gif

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
allthough i do the onkyo is not been given full justice ast the speakers aren't really the best. They were just cheap budget speakers purchased a few years ago. Pioneer S-CR50A. Do you know if they were even reviewed at one point ?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Glad I could help
emotion-1.gif

Hi Andrew,

I'm in the same situation, I bought a few weeks ago a Denon AVR-1909 and the KEF KHT 3005 speakers, and after I play a few days with it, I started to doubt which will be the crossover freq. setting for it.

So I use the Audyssey MultEQ for 2 points, and the results are:

Front: 90Hz
Center: 60Hz
Surround: 60Hz
SW: 80Hz

Are these settings right? or do I need to make some tweak?

I'm hearing everything great, maybe the central speaker a little low, so maybe if I tweak the crossover it will sound better, I don't know. So I need some advices.

Thank you so much.

Alex Alanis

stonehound

May 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I also have a related question. I have the Denon 1909 amp with B&W 685 fronts and centre and B&W M1 as rears.

I spoke to B&W technical support and the advised that I should set the crossover frequency on the Denon to 80Hz for ALL speakers on the basis that the M1's frequency is 80Hz. He said that the crossover freq should be set to 80Hz so all speakers roll off at the same point and the sub takes over below 80Hz.

Would you agree with this advice, bearing in mind that the freq for the 685 fronts is 49Hz and the centre is 55Hz?

Would be grateful for any opinions. Thanks.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I'm confused as well. I'm doing this set-up tonight. My MA RS6 fronts go down to 38hz, which incidentally is the same as what my Velodyne Impact mini subwoofer goes down to, so I don't even HAVE a crossover point! Do I just set the sub crossover to max and have "full-band" on all the speakers on the Amp set up?

A

Anonymous

Set the spekers to small and the crossover to 80 on the sub and amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts