Controlling NAS drives?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I'm considering re-hashing my audio system and going over to the dark side(ripping all my CDs to WAV files) and using a NAS drive linked possably to Yamaha RXV771 reciever (maybe keeping my Cambridge 740 to power the fronts), my question is, how do you browse the content of the NAS drive?, through the amps display panel, via the tv, laptop or phone (android).

Also could anyone recomend anyNAS drives?

Cheers Oozle

nads

dont bother ripping to WAV rip to whatever the device you chose to play the tunes will play. FLAC is good as it is easily tagable.

you dont control a NAS just the device that looks at it. (unless you have some software that can run on it.) a NAS is mainly just a storage box.

A

Anonymous

Agree with NADS. WAV files can be a pain in the butt regarding tag data, FLAC's sound same as WAVs and are much easier to alter tag data. MP3tag is a good piece of freeware for altering tagging (don't be put off with MP£ bit, does FLAC as well). And of course FLACs take up less space.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
oozle said:
my question is, how do you browse the content of the NAS drive?, through the amps display panel, via the tv, laptop or phone (android).

Looking at the manual for that Yamaha, it's done via the TV or there is a Yamaha AV Controller app for Android phones.

Regarding the types of file supported, this is direct from the manual:

• This unit supports playback of WAV (PCM format only), MP3, WMA, MPEG-4 AAC and FLAC files.
• This unit is compatible with sampling frequency of up to 96 kHz for WAV and FLAC files, and 48 kHz for other files.
• To play back FLAC files, you need to install server software that supports sharing of FLAC files via DLNA on your PC or use a NAS that supports FLAC files.

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
oozle said:
Hi all

I'm considering re-hashing my audio system and going over to the dark side(ripping all my CDs to WAV files) and using a NAS drive linked possably to Yamaha RXV771 reciever (maybe keeping my Cambridge 740 to power the fronts), my question is, how do you browse the content of the NAS drive?, through the amps display panel, via the tv, laptop or phone (android).

Also could anyone recomend anyNAS drives?

Hi Oozle,

For the last I, and I know a few others here, have had good results with QNAP enclosures. The exact model will depend on your budget / needs. Personally (having just had a HDD physically fail) I recommend using at least a two drive NAS so you can mirror the contents from one to the other for data redundancy.

QNAP also generally has TwonkyServer (check - I've not looked through their entire range!) which would let you go down the DLNA route rather than having to use the more proprietary Apple route. Ignore this if you have lots of Apple stuff already but given you have an Android phone, I'd guess not.

Having just had terrible customer service from Seagate, I'd say avoid them. Plus it was a Seagate drive that failed. That's not entirely scientific opinion though.

As far as browsing the contents / controlling it, then the manual may well be your friend, as it has been Prof H's :)

And, as with everyone else's suggestion I'd add support to go FLAC not WAV. Nowt to be gained for WAV, but plenty to be gained from FLAC.

HTH,

R

A

Anonymous

I use a Buffalo Linkstation NAS, quiet, seems reliable, but just in case the Buffalo has a spare USB socket so I piggyback another onto it for backup. Mind you can sometimes take many hours for a full backup so do it overnight.

A

Anonymous

+1 for FLAC. Especially as your Yamaha supports it. WAV's are pointless.

Most NAS drives come with DLNA software, it's just a question of setting it up on the NAS and Yamaha.

I can recommend the Netgear Readynas ultra series. They use a 1.6 atom cpu running Linux, so are very quick. They come cofigured with DLNA software and there are other flavours you can choose too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice guys i think FLAC will be the road i will go down,.....now which software to use ???? will i have to rip my whole library again as it's only ripped as MP3 @192 Kbps!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts