NAS drive

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I listen to a lot of digital files and lengthy DJ mixes.

The plan is to get a NAD D 3020 for its bluetooth capability/digital playback and hook it up with some Q Acoustics 3020 floor standing speakers.

This will then be bridged to a Sonos system for integration throughout the house.

The only missing component is a NAS drive - I don't want my audio files to be dependent on a laptop and as I understand it, NAS drives can send content straight to Sonos.

Is there a recommended NAS drive for this purpose and am I overdoing things? (i.e. should I be being an integrated NAS system and amp?).

I've been eyeballing the My Cloud EX2 - is this a good option? I've no clue what I'm searching for here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

R. :)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Have you seen this page giving detailed information?

http://www.whathifi.com/how-to/how-to-build-nas-to-store-your-music

There are often threads started on the forum, about how to use NAS.

Also Andrew Everard has written several blogs and articles on the topic.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/ripping-and-streaming

I think that Synology NAS are quite popular among members, both for the functionality, build quality and easy to use software.

Which model (by any manufacturer) will be influenced by how many hard discs (or solid state) you want to use - do you want everything on one disc, or one disc for music, one disc for films, etc. Plus importantly factor in the need/cost for a backup disc, or alternately a separate hard drive backup that uses a USB connection to your laptop or amplifier.

i keep the master copies of my music on a NAS (plus aa backup on USB hard drive), but for day to day listening I put a copy of the albums that I want to listen to, on a 64Gb memory stick which I can easily plug into whichever PC, or amplifier I want to use at any one time.

I haven't used My Cloud, but here is a review - it seems to be like most produsts, in that it has some strong points, and a few weaknesses (mainly in build quality, and ease of expandability) thaat only you can judge if they are an issue for you.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/wd-my-cloud-ex2-review

I have a Synology NAS drive. I'd recommend it to anyone planning to do something like you plan. The problem with getting a NAS like the Synology is that the can do so many different things, you may end up buying a NAS just for music sharing (DS216SE for example) and discovering latter that you want to do a lot more with it than you thought. If this situation happen, you may end up disappointed with your choice.

I have the DS216PLAY which allows me to manage and share my music collection which was the initial idea AND manage and share and trancode mi video collection. I also use it as a personnal cloud to transfer the pictures I take with my smartphone. I don't think you can go wrong with that choice unless you plan to need a lot of storage since that unit can only hold to hard drive.

If you need more storage and data protection you should go with a 4HDD unit like the DS415PLAY. If video transcoding is important to you it could be worth it to wait unitl the replacement DS416PLAY comes out to get the new h265 HW transcoding like the DS216PLAY's got. If not you can't go wrong with a DS415PLAY either.

Hope this helps.

Nicolas

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for coming back - that's been very helpful.

I've come away much more knowledgeable but with a even more confusions (but almost there I guess!)

Mine will primarily be a music streaming system with the DVD encoding part being a 'nice to have' only.

So my search has been narrowed down to the following:

Synology DS416Play Vs Qnap TS-412 (I wonder which would suit me best? Any ideas?)

Should I also be looking at the Synology DS411j ?

And lastly there's the built in ripper model which seems a bit gimmicky but could be great as I've got to rip my entire music collection soon (the disadvantage being the lack of preset tagging that I'm doing on Rekordbox):

Built in ripper - RIPnas
https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/644

I don't know that much about the Qnap but according to the specs alone, the Synology blows it out of the water.

Where I work, we've been using and selling Qnap NAS'es for a number of years until a couple months ago when we switched to Synology. The Qnap hav been nice and reliable performers for years but the move to Synology for us is a move you don't come back from. it's not the hardware (though it is between those 2 particular models) but the software is much better in the Synology.

The DS411J is a model long gone. The DS416J though does exist. I'd never touch anything with a J from Synology.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
robder said:
Hi,

I listen to a lot of digital files and lengthy DJ mixes.

The plan is to get a NAD D 3020 for its bluetooth capability/digital playback and hook it up with some Q Acoustics 3020 floor standing speakers.

This will then be bridged to a Sonos system for integration throughout the house.

The only missing component is a NAS drive - I don't want my audio files to be dependent on a laptop and as I understand it, NAS drives can send content straight to Sonos.

Is there a recommended NAS drive for this purpose and am I overdoing things? (i.e. should I be being an integrated NAS system and amp?).

I've been eyeballing the My Cloud EX2 - is this a good option? I've no clue what I'm searching for here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

R. :)
I have a Western Digital MyBook Live Duo. This NAS has a built-in Apple Server so I import Apple Lossless files. I use a Sonos Connect for playback

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
OK - thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.

I've decided to go for the Synology DS416Play (anyone know when it's out?)

Do I need a decent router like the RT1900ac to go with it or will any old thing do?

(I used to have an airport express thingy but I'm guessing Sonos will take care of the wireless side of things?)

Cheers! R. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts