Considering the pre/pro route...

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have a Pioneer LX-83 paired with MK S150's and SS150 tri-pole surrounds.

In the usual persuit of audio visual perfection (read "upgrade-itis"), I am considering moving from the Pioneer to a seperate processor and amplifier set-up. This is mainly because, whilst the system sounds fantastic, the 4 ohm speakers which are rated up to 400W (LCR) can take a lot more power than the Pioneer can deliver, so I have always wondered if a more powerful amp will pay dividends in sound quality terms (dynamics, detail, control, soundstage extension etc).

Forgetting the 'processor' side for a moment; budget is an issue at present, so I am considering a few options.

I have only just started looking, so first off (option A), I have looked at the Rotel RMB-1575 paired with a matching RMB1572 to cover the 7 channels. I've not seen much else that offers the same sort of power for the money (though as I say, I have only just started looking).

Alternatively (option B) I could continue to use the LX-83 for running the surrounds, and as a processor, and add off board amps (mono blocks or 3 channel amp) to run the front LCR - this is new territory for me.

So my questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience of the Rotel amps above?

2. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions to the Rotel amps above?

3. What are opinions on option A versus option B?

4. Any suggestions for components to achieve option B?

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I can only offer an opinion om amps. Even though your budget may not allow I would suggest having a look at NuForce amazing amps. Models MCH-200C5 or MCH-200C7 in particular (difference in number of channels). They offer incredible power, but most importantly a steady and reliable current. From the several demos I've heard with these the soundstage depth and width is just out of this world. I've heard from several owners that they are comfortable driving most anything. If I was building a pre/pro combo these would be at the top of the list. Guess I'll keep on dreaming...

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ricky,

Yes, I have looked at the NuForce amps, and they have recieved rave reviews, but their price (for the MCH300-C7) puts them around double that of the Rotel. Whilst I would love one of these, unless I can pick one up second hand, they are probably a bit further down the upgrade path for me at the minute.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gdavies09031977 said:
Thanks Ricky,

Yes, I have looked at the NuForce amps, and they have recieved rave reviews, but their price (for the MCH300-C7) puts them around double that of the Rotel. Whilst I would love one of these, unless I can pick one up second hand, they are probably a bit further down the upgrade path for me at the minute.

Well, the MCH300-C7 got a pretty hefty price yes, but in my post I mentioned the slightly down-scaled MCH-200C7. In my area its nearly the same price as the more expensive Rotel you mentioned. It sounds stunning! I wish I could try one with my Denon AVR-3808 as a pre-amp, just to experience the difference in amplification. But I reckon I wouldnt wanna return it.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Well, the MCH300-C7 got a pretty hefty price yes, but in my post I mentioned the slightly down-scaled MCH-200C7. In my area its nearly the same price as the more expensive Rotel you mentioned. It sounds stunning! I wish I could try one with my Denon AVR-3808 as a pre-amp, just to experience the difference in amplification. But I reckon I wouldnt wanna return it.

Hmmm, that sounds interesting, so it might be worth a punt! Though I was really hoping to max out the 400W that my S150's can take. :twisted:

Though it might be a good stop gap solution until I can shell out on a custom AB International amp!

That said, I have just blown my budget by picking up a second hand Anthem STatement D2v (5 months old, barely used - guy had it installed in his second home for occasional use! :O )

Trouuble is I can't use the D2v without an amp obviously! Needs to sell my Lumagen and LX-83 sharpish!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gdavies09031977 said:
RickyDeg said:

Hmmm, that sounds interesting, so it might be worth a punt! Though I was really hoping to max out the 400W that my S150's can take. :twisted:

Though it might be a good stop gap solution until I can shell out on a custom AB International amp!

That said, I have just blown my budget by picking up a second hand Anthem STatement D2v (5 months old, barely used - guy had it installed in his second home for occasional use! :O )

Trouuble is I can't use the D2v without an amp obviously! Needs to sell my Lumagen and LX-83 sharpish!

Oi...... an Anthem Statement, no less :exmark: Yeah you'd sure need a good amp to complement that one! (for the record: I just tested an Anthem MRX700 receiver, though I wasn't too impressed with it so I returned it - this processor is probably a different deal though) I understand your reasoning for the 400W, but also consider the amount of current that the NuForce can deliver. It's not always about the numbers or the wattage. I'm certain it would get your speakers singing! Then again, you could always upgrade amp at a later date. That's the beauty of owning separates. Sometimes I miss my Lexicon DC-2 and the Musical Fidelity HT-600. Those were the days, lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts