Connecting X Fi Soundcard to DAC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="kingnothing83"]my only query is not knowing what the "supports SPDIF out compressed ac3 signal etc" actually means, its the word compressed that worries me, or perhaps that is not talking about the digital part of the output.
cheers!
[/quote]

It is not possible to send uncompressed AC3 signals thru S/PDIF. That's the reason it mentions compressed.
However, when you play a .MP3, .WMA, .WAV, .FLAC or any such files, the signal is uncompressed.

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Mine has worked really well and gives a noticible improvement. Which programme do you use to listen to your music?

I suppose i need to get myself a good rca to rca now to connect the DAC to my amp, which leaves me 3.5 to rca interconnect redundant for now, maybe i'll connect my ipod to my amp just too.

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Have a quick query about the "digital output sampling rate" settings in the xfi software.

I have the option of making it output at 96khz or 48khz.

Which setting should i use?

And i was considering trying to pick up a 2nd hand Mk5 beresford but apparently the Mk6 is enough of an improvement to warrent an extra £30 or so

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advise.

I already use the asio drivers with winamp and it makes a noticeable improvement. It has been 100% stable too (well maybe 99%) so i think i'll stick with winamp as its a much superior interface

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Interestingly Stanley suggested that WAV and FLAC will sound better with my soundcard outputting digitally at 96khz and mp3's better at 48khz. Interesting, i'll give it a test when it arrives, should be here by tomrorow hopefully! Although some people say the burn in on the DAC can affect the sound quite dramatically so it may be a couple weeks before any difference is apparent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts