Question Connecting Rotel amp to Mission speakers ??

Gaedheal

Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
My Rotel RA-03 amp has outputs for two sets of speakers "A & B".
My Mission 753 speakers have two inputs "Low Freq" & "High Freq".
Can I connect A to drive the Low Freq and B to drive the High Freq?
Currently only the amp's A speakers output is connected to the Low Freq and Low & High are bridged with a metal connection bar.

Thanks,
Lorcán.

gasolin

Highs use a metal bracket or what ever you would call it so the highs can get signal from the binding posts you use for your speaker cable

Using 2 set of binding posts on the amp with the same cable won't give you better sound or more power.

What can give you better sound is not using the metal bracket on the speakers and use one good cable for the low frequencys could be a thick cable and one that is good for the highs.

speaker terminal a on the amp and cable to the lows and highs is all you need (without the metal brackets) don't worry about the price it's not that expensive to use 2 pair of speaker cable or one for bi wiring

something like this (biwiring) for speaker terminal a on the amp and for the highs and lows so you can use your speakers without the metal bracket, + to + on each end https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_ssk_425_bk.htm

D

Deleted member 108165

Give it a try but bi-wiring doesn't bring anything new to the party... why waste cable :)

Reactions: Al ears

Gaedheal

Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
Highs use a metal bracket or what ever you would call it so the highs can get signal from the binding posts you use for your speaker cable

Using 2 set of binding posts on the amp with the same cable won't give you better sound or more power.

What can give you better sound is not using the metal bracket on the speakers and use one good cable for the low frequencys could be a thick cable and one that is good for the highs.

speaker terminal a on the amp and cable to the lows and highs is all you need (without the metal brackets) don't worry about the price it's not that expensive to use 2 pair of speaker cable or one for bi wiring

something like this (biwiring) for speaker terminal a on the amp and for the highs and lows so you can use your speakers without the metal bracket, + to + on each end https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_ssk_425_bk.htm

Thanks, I understand you mean bi-wiring by only using Amp output A.
But would connecting Amp output A to the Low Freqs and Amp output B to the High Freqs be the same as bi-amping? (see attached pics) Is there any advantage to doing this?

Attachments

• Mission.JPG
    Mission.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Rotel.JPG
    Rotel.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 7

gasolin

for bi amping you need 4 channels, you only have 2 channels.

You use the same amp, to get real bi amping you need an amp with real 4 channels or 2x2 channel amps, you only have 2 binding posts so you can choose between 2 pair of speakers or connect 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers and play a little louder than with one pair

Gaedheal

Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
for bi amping you need 4 channels, you only have 2 channels.

You use the same amp, to get real bi amping you need an amp with real 4 channels or 2x2 channel amps, you only have 2 binding posts so you can choose between 2 pair of speakers or connect 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers and play a little louder than with one pair
OK, I understand it a bit better now.
Thanks a lot.

Gaedheal

Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
He will not be able to do what he wants unless that Rotel has an A+ B position and, as you say it's pretty pointless.
Yes, there are A, B and A+B positions on the amp.
It may be pointless regarding sound improvement, but I like that I'll be able to see any effects of any changes (speaker positioning, putting the speakers on spikes etc..) independently between the Low Freq and High Freq if I can switch between them.

D

Deleted member 108165

Thanks, I understand you mean bi-wiring by only using Amp output A.
But would connecting Amp output A to the Low Freqs and Amp output B to the High Freqs be the same as bi-amping? (see attached pics) Is there any advantage to doing this?
No. You cannot bi-amp with one amplifier, you can only bi-wire using the A+B speaker connections, one set of cables to the HF posts and one set of cables to the LF posts, with the speaker jumper bars removed.

Try it, but don't be surprised if you hear no difference whatsoever, if you do hear any difference it will be all in your head ... been there done that.

Conversely, speaker positioning can have a dramatic effect on sound quality.

Reactions: Al ears
Yes, there are A, B and A+B positions on the amp.
It may be pointless regarding sound improvement, but I like that I'll be able to see any effects of any changes (speaker positioning, putting the speakers on spikes etc..) independently between the Low Freq and High Freq if I can switch between them.
Fair enough but the speaker is going to operate using HF and LF at the same time in normal operation so you have to configure the speaker as a single entity.
I can understand your point though but biggest improvement will be to upgrade the speakers..... :)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
No, you can't biamp. Yes, you could biwire. But as others have said, whether it'd make any difference is a moot point.
Running things as you have them now is fine, I doubt you'd hear any difference from biwiring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts