Question Connecting an old Realistic 31-9091 EQ to my Yamaha receiver

Intrepidhead

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I bought a Realistic 31-9081 Equalizer real cheap today (new in box, never used!).

I still didnt make it home to connect it but I´m starting to doubt that it will not be possible to use it as my Yamaha receiver (Model: SR-301) only has 1 pair of Analog ins RCA's. Every other connection is Hdmi/Optical/Coaxial...

The Realistic has RCA's Main in / Main out (and 2 pairs of Tape Mon in/Out which I will not use).

Can you guys help me understand how am I going to make sense of the connections?

PS: My setup is:

My macbook Pro connected to a M-Audio 192|6 audio interface via USB > into the Analog ins of my Yamaha SR-301 amp > out to a pair of passive KEF speakers.

thanks for your help!

best
Fernando

Looks like you only have one source so what is the issue.
You have one set of analogue in on your amp, I am assuming you have analogue out on that audio interface do you? I am not familiar with it.
If you do analogue out from that into Main In on the Equalizer then a Main Out to the analogue in on the amp......
Or am I missing something here.

Intrepidhead

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
Correct, I just did that and it works but... I am getting some substantial hum noise coming from the speakers. If I press the bypass in the EQ I still get some hum, but much less...

The hum is very low end, and it changes tone if I play around with the freq. slides...

It may be related to the fact that even though I have the low frequencies all at zero the spectrum shows them really high, touching the red...?

thanks for your input...

Attachments

• eq.jpg
    eq.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 6

Intrepidhead

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
so, I have investigated further before returning the unit and realized the hum is coming from a couple of sliders on the low frequency side, in both channels... will I be able to repair it? if I play with the 31 to 250 Hz sliders the hum gets more audible, but the other sliders don't add any noise to the sound...

What is the cause for this? Can this be repaired?

I have tried to return the EQ but the seller now wont accept it back, says it was fine when he shipped it... the joys of buying stuff on OLX... so I have submitted a claim but it may just turn to a damn nightmare as the seller is sticking to his sh*t...

thanks for your help!

Last edited:
so, I have investigated further before returning the unit and realized the hum is coming from a couple of sliders on the low frequency side, in both channels... will I be able to repair it? if I play with the 31 to 250 Hz sliders the hum gets more audible, but the other sliders don't add any noise to the sound...

What is the cause for this? Can this be repaired?

I have tried to return the EQ but the seller now wont accept it back, says it was fine when he shipped it... the joys of buying stuff on OLX... so I have submitted a claim but it may just turn to a damn nightmare as the seller is sticking to his sh*t...

thanks for your help!
Perhaps, once removed from the mains power supply and turned off, a good spay of those sliders with a contact-cleaner spray like Servisol might improve matters. If not at least you tried.

Reactions: Intrepidhead

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts