Connecting active sub to amplifier...?

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pioneer A-Z370 amplifier which I use to power my speakers. The connectors on the back are like this (open image in tab for bigger version):

366148-obiavi-az370-back.jpg

I'm looking to connect an active sub to this amplifier, but I want to know if it's possible before I buy the sub. I figured I could run RCA from the sub to the inputs labelled "Surround speakers (Rear) in" on the amp? Or maybe there's another way?

I have another amp lying around which has speaker wire inputs for L, R and Sub, which could be of use perhaps?

Thanks in advance, I really want to get this set-up working.

A

Anonymous

Does your sub have high & low level inputs?

If it has a high input then use a Neutrik cable and attach that to the speaker cable connections on the back of the amp

Something like this: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/MJ-Acoustics-High-Level-Subwoofer-Cable/product_3234

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I haven't bought the sub yet, I wanted to make sure I could connect one without getting a new amp before I went ahead and bought it. I'd be looking at really entry level subs, as my room is small. Something like a Cambridge S80 or a Tannoy SFX. Something around £100.

Since I already have stereo speakers hooked up to the amp, are you saying that simply connecting the sub using said cable to the B speaker inputs, then setting the amp to A+B would work?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
theexcitableboy said:
I figured I could run RCA from the sub to the inputs labelled "Surround speakers (Rear) in" on the amp?

this would work only if you were sure this output is a variable output (like pre out) as opposed to a fixed output (like tape out). I think it might be a variable one but you should double check if that's true.

otherwise Nad_fanatic's suggestion is a sound one. just get yourself a sub with high level/ speaker input.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
theexcitableboy said:
Since I already have stereo speakers hooked up to the amp, are you saying that simply connecting the sub using said cable to the B speaker inputs, then setting the amp to A+B would work?

either that, or you can connect both, speakers and sub, to the same output, as the sub will not present an additional load for the amp.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
According to the service manual for the amp, "Surround speakers in: Connect the surround speaker systems. Ensure you connect a speaker system with a nominal impedance of at least 16 Ohms."

I'm guessing that means no then?

By "connect speakers and sub to same output" (i.e both to A terminals?) how would I go about connecting them like that? I don't really understand, I'm a bit new to this.

A

Anonymous

The high level cable has one plug that goes into the sub but at the other end it has stripped bare wires. You connect these to the same terminals that your speaker cable is connected to.

The sub has its own amp so it's just taking the musical signal from the connections; not the power as well

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that would work fine, but the bare cables - they would connect where? To the B terminals? They can't connect to the A terminals because they're already full from the speakers?

A

Anonymous

The sub cables are fairly thin so they'll fit fine with the speaker cables in the A connections :)

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Ah right - wasn't sure if that would cause damage - thanks a lot mate! :) - - One last thing, using this connection method would the sub still output low frequencies? It wouldn't try to output mids/highs?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
theexcitableboy said:
Ah right - wasn't sure if that would cause damage - thanks a lot mate! :) - - One last thing, using this connection method would the sub still output low frequencies? It wouldn't try to output mids/highs?

It would be a poorly designed sub if it couldn't filter the mids and highs out.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Look at the secomd diagram on Page 5 of https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:MrtiH-TNlPkJ:www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/editor/files/EvoSubmanual.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiS_AxJns3gqgCS0en82tqp5XUFMAPz-4RI9hpFQnNVtcpGFXt6rLeLPQo3RenGEUbeyUOFlk8iJWe1riEqW85aNl48VuzRzVk0lyaIXH561I7SQrW7lOJHOuuxQIuHFZ1olLLx&sig=AHIEtbRAhYBkYr5XDiwxfErCuDY_Q8yVvQ link.

Sorry about long link text, it's my first post in ages. I need to go back and read Chebby's posting guide.

Ignore the pair of phono sockets (red and white line level) offering you a rear out.

You want to run left and right (either A or B) speaker cable from your amp to a pair of high level speaker inputs on your new sub. Then run a pair of speaker cables from the high level speaker outs on the new sub to your existing speakers.

You'll be inserting the sub between your current amp and speakers. Make sure left goes to left and right to right and that positive is wired to positive and negative to negative throughout.

You may need to buy some additional speaker cable to accomodate the new sub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts