Connecting a PS3 to a network, advice needed.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive just recently purchased a PS3, and would like to know how best to get in connected to the internet. Im using Virgin Media and im wondering if its a good idea to buy there (Virgin Media's) wireless modem (£40). Also, I have downgraded my connection since Monday from 10 meg to 2 meg fibre optic (dont know how they get away with marketing it as fibre optic, but anyway...) Is 2 meg going to be enough bandwidth? Im pretty clueless about PS3 bandwidth usage, for gaming ect.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
2Mb will be fine for the PS3 so long as you're not using your connection for something else which uses a lot of bandwidth at the same time e.g. P2P sharing, downloading files from internet etc.
You can get the wireless modem if it's easier for you - but if you can easily hook it up to your Virgin connection with an ethernet cable, this will save you a bit of cash for a game or some Blu-Rays
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Prof. I wasn't aware I could connect it directly to the modem via ethernet. I'll give it a try later this evening.

Thanks mate.

John Duncan

subliminal41:
Ive just recently purchased a PS3, and would like to know how best to get in connected to the internet. Im using Virgin Media and im wondering if its a good idea to buy there (Virgin Media's) wireless modem (£40). Also, I have downgraded my connection since Monday from 10 meg to 2 meg fibre optic (dont know how they get away with marketing it as fibre optic, but anyway...) Is 2 meg going to be enough bandwidth? Im pretty clueless about PS3 bandwidth usage, for gaming ect.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd avoid an ISP-provided router since they can be limiting - I bought a 40 quid Belkin to replace the sh-te access point provided by telewest, which only allowed one connection at a time, and precluded my using my laptop at the same time. Does your internet connection come through the set-top box or straight in through the wall? This will determine whether you need a modem/router or just a router.

Will defer to prof and others on PS3 bandwidth usage.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, should just say I don't know exactly how Virgin provide their broadband so ensure it has a free ethernet socket first and it will allow simultaneous connections if you have computer or something else hooked up as well as JD says.

John Duncan

Well they do it two ways - either from the set top box or independently - I think STB is limited to 1meg so probably not that - do you have a modem already plugged into the cable to provide the internet connection?

A

Anonymous

Hi JD.

Im connected via one of there older modems, I have it connected to my pc via USB (to idle minded to fit a network card) I did read what you mentioned about IP issues elsewhere (a while back) connecting straight to the modem. I also had the v+ box installed on Monday, will this only handle 1 meg?

So the etherenet port is free on the modem, im not sure you can use the USB and ethernet simutanously. I still haven't
got around to trying anything yet, been a busy day and im shattered.

If yourself or Prof. has anything else to add (appreciate the replies already BTW) now you know how im connected, I will try as you say and post back as soon as I get around to it, it'll have to be tomorrow, now.

Thanks for your time anyhow chaps.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries, it's hard for me to say for sure if it will work or not as I've never used a Virgin broadband service but I know from what I've heard from the Telewest days that they have their idiosyncrasies. If you own an ethernet cable, no worries, if not, I'd try and borrow one (is there one you can borrow maybe from work for one night) or buy the cheapest Cat5 cable you can lay your hands on just to test with. Even if it's a short one and you have to move the PS3 to get it working, just to test it. Once you know it works (or vice versa), you can then go from there - I just know that longer length ethernet cables can be quite expensive from Currys.Digital and the like and I wouldn't want you to pay out if it doesn't work and you're better off with the wireless modem!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I have both a PS3 and Virgin broadband

If you need any more help just ask
emotion-2.gif

Personally I use a belkin router which powers my computer and my 2nd computer via ethernet, and my PSP and PS3 via wireless

For ethernet cable id use ebay myself. Even Cat 6 is very cheap!

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for your help guys, looks like it'll be easier to get myself a Belkin router, any suggestions on which to buy would be helpful, im clueless.

@ aliEnRIK, thanks mate.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I tend to favour Netgear and use the DG834G v3 modem/router....but there are lots of makes and models from which to choose.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I use a Linksys WRT754GS Wireless router connected to my PC and Virgin nee Telewest modem , easy to setup and no issues , got my sons WII , PS3 and DS all workin fine wireless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts