Connecting a Blu-ray Player to an Old AV Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My old DVD player has finally given up the ghost - and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Marantz UD7006 (there are some good deals out there at the moment!).

My problem is - it will need to be connected to my old Marantz SR5300 AV receiver until I can afford to replace that.

Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to connect them up please? I'll be using the UD7006 for BDs, DVDs and CD play back.

The SR5300 only has 6.1 analogue channel inputs - and I only have a 5.1 speaker package. Should I bother with the analogue channels for surround sound - or just stick with a digital coax for now - and maybe just use the regular analogue interconnects for CD play back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Assuming the UD has 7(or 5).1 analogue outputs that should work fine, you'll be able to tell it you only have 5.1 speakers, so you'll get everything as it should be. It'll be well worth it, imo.

michael hoy

L_UD7006_back.png

It has 7.1 analogue outputs.

scene

In which case, only wire up 5.1 of them (as it were). Leave the surround back channels unconnected and when you do the analogue set up on your bdp, tell it you're only using a 5.1 setup. I use analogue out son my Sony bdp to go to my avr250 and it's well worth it over coax

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Set your BD player to output sound as LPCM and you will be able to enjoy the lossless HD soundtracks of a blu-ray via the analogue inputs, so theres no need to upgrade the receiver.

A

Anonymous

That's great. Analogue outputs it is then. Thanks for the advice!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Set your BD player to output sound as LPCM and you will be able to enjoy the lossless HD soundtracks of a blu-ray via the analogue inputs,

Not sure that's actually necessary is it? LPCM is a digital format, so not relevant to the analogue outputs? Obviously you need to make sure you choose the HD soundtrack but beyond that I don't think you need to do anything else, although that's dependant on the player, I don't remember doing anything on my Sony.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
AnotherJoe said:
Set your BD player to output sound as LPCM and you will be able to enjoy the lossless HD soundtracks of a blu-ray via the analogue inputs,

Not sure that's actually necessary is it? LPCM is a digital format, so not relevant to the analogue outputs? Obviously you need to make sure you choose the HD soundtrack but beyond that I don't think you need to do anything else, although that's dependant on the player, I don't remember doing anything on my Sony.

I was going by the manual for my Oppo-95, where it states that selecting LPCM will give the best sound quality through the analog outs. I'm prepared to take Oppo's word on it - it certainly wont do any harm.

Buy yes it did surprise me when I saw it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
The_Lhc said:
AnotherJoe said:

I was going by the manual for my Oppo-95, where it states that selecting LPCM will give the best sound quality through the analog outs.

Really? Curious, I've no idea what difference that would make.

I'm prepared to take Oppo's word on it - it certainly wont do any harm.

Buy yes it did surprise me when I saw it.

Perhaps it's an Oppo specific thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts