Connect two pair of speakers to Yamaha R-N500

moremoore84

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a Yamaha R N500 and a pair of Vienna acoustics Haydn Grand speakers.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-n500_u/

http://www.vienna-acoustics.com/index.php/products/concert-grand-series/haydn-grand-symphony-edition

I would like to connect another pair of speakers to bring the music to another room. I the receiver comes with a speaker selector switch so its possible to play the two pairs separately but I would like to play them both at the same time ( not always)

My question is, what kind of speakers should I buy? Do I need to get a 4ohms speakers or the impedance can be different?

Thanks for your help!

It is marked on the rear panel of your amp. I cannot read it on my screen as the pictures you linked are not high enough resolution. Normally it will say you need 8 ohm or more if intending to play two pairs at once.

Safer to play only one pair at a time, or if you insist on both, don't turn it up too far. Higher impedances will impose less demand on your amp.

John M

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I also have an RN500. During the last few weeks I have tried and tested different speakers so have had 2 sets of speakers wired up together to compare. At one point I had a pair of Monitor Audio B4 floor standers and a pair of Wharfedale 230's wired up together (both 8ohm) and changing them over, switching one set on and then the other separately. Then I thought how would it sound with both sets on. When the amp is turned up to near full volume the amp safety switches off the unit when it detects too much draw of current when running the two sets together.

However you wouldn't really need to run at such volume as the room and the furniture were literally shaking before the amp switched off! So I would think that the amp would easily run 2 sets at normal to loud levels.

As it happens I ended up with a pair of B&W 602 S2's which sounded far better (miles apart) than the above floor standers to me.

TRENDING THREADS