Connecing UHD through a Philips B5/12 soundbar

Edwardsj

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a new Samsung Q7 UHD TV and a Panasonic 900 UHD Blue Ray player plus a Philips B5/12 soundbar. Philips advise that I cannot play UHD through the soundbar. So when its played I only get HD picture not UHD. Soundbar is great but seems a bit stupid that I can only watch UHD when I connect the Pana to the TV directly. Any suggestons on how I may hook it up so that I can listen through the soundbar but watch UHD through the TV?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
the reason is that the hdmi inputs and output on your soundbar are not capable of handling UHD signals only "standard" HD.

the only way I can see to get what you want is to run a digital coax or optical cable from your UHD player direct to the soundbars coax/optical inputs.

*music2*

Edwardsj

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes I assumed it was the HDMI. Needs 2.2 I think. I'll try what you suggest, cheaper than a new soundbar! Anybody recommend a soundbar that can handle UHD?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't your Panny have a second HDMI output? If so, and if you're not using it to feed a receiver that won't handle UHD/4K either, you could hook that up to the soundbar.

Otherwise use a digital coax or fibre optic from your source, or (perhaps) use another HDMI from your TV back to the soundbar to make use of any ARC capability.

Easiest though is probably a coax or fibre optic.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Edwardsj said:
will check , assume you mean 1 HDMI direct from the Panny to the TV, 1 HDMI direct to the soundbar so no 4k passthrough required. 
Precisely. All of the first generation UHD BDPs had dual HDMI outputs (one may be audio only) so people with receivers without 4K passthrough could wire one HDMI up to their 4K TV directly and send audio to the receiver using the other.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts