Confused about ohms (especially 6 ohm speakers)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm using a Sony TA-FE370 amp with Sony SS-B2ED speakers and I've been looking at upgrading. I'll probably go for Wharfdale 10.1's, which are 6 ohm speakers, and it looks like my amp will be fine with them as it's rated 4-16 ohms (manual here: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hfc-amplifier/ta-fe370#/manual).

The problem is I was looking to upgrade to a Marantz which is 8 ohms, and apparently it won't get past 'safe mode' if a 6 ohm speaker is connected. All of the speakers I'd buy now are 6 ohms, can anyone explain why the Marantz is so limited? Are most amps going to have a similar restriction?

A

Anonymous

Hi there!

Not sure you're correct actually, look at the back of this picture. Minimum supported ohms is 4? Ohms = resistance. Lower is theoretically better because less resistance means less effort is required to drive them.

http://www.avrev.com/images/stories/equippoweramps/marantz_PM6004/marantz_pm6004_rear.jpg

Which model Marantz you looking at?

Best!

AJ

vash, with today's amps and speakers you very rarely need to worry yourself with such things. Matching the sound is much more relevant than the somewhat random rating that is speaker impedance (which on a 6ohm rated speaker may vary from about 4 to 100 ohms depending of the frequency, just to confuse you more!).

Don't worry! Listen and enjoy. :)

A

Anonymous

AJ20011 said:
Minimum supported ohms is 4? Ohms = resistance. Lower is theoretically better because less resistance means less effort is required to drive them.

Absolutely not true, lower impedance is more difficult to drive.

Lower impedance means you need a higher current to supply an equivalent power (Ohm's Law, V=IR). Amplifiers are not short on voltage (you get 240V straight out of the wall!) but producing large amounts of current is tricky and needs vast power supplies and larger support electronics, which ain't cheap.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
vash420 said:
I'm using a Sony TA-FE370 amp with Sony SS-B2ED speakers and I've been looking at upgrading. I'll probably go for Wharfdale 10.1's, which are 6 ohm speakers, and it looks like my amp will be fine with them as it's rated 4-16 ohms (manual here: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hfc-amplifier/ta-fe370#/manual).

The problem is I was looking to upgrade to a Marantz which is 8 ohms, and apparently it won't get past 'safe mode' if a 6 ohm speaker is connected. All of the speakers I'd buy now are 6 ohms, can anyone explain why the Marantz is so limited? Are most amps going to have a similar restriction?
:rant: Hi, I wouldn't go into that much detail but I don't believe you are correct regarding the marantz. Most Modern hifi amps are comfortable at 4 to 8 ohms....actually ohms change as you play music, an 8 ohm speaker doesn't stay at 8 ohm all the time and may well drop to 4 ohms. I think you should buy it without worry.

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
if you look at the link in the second post the picture shows channel A & B 8 to 16 ohms or A or B 4 to 6 ohms. well if your bi wiring u are using a and b. which is too high.

Yaniv Ben Ari

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi AJ

And thanks for finely helping me understand what is the actual meaning of ohms :)

perhaps you can recomend a suitable amp for the

Wharfedale Pi-40 Floorstanding Speakers?

K

keeper of the quays

Its elementary my dear watts son...i blame sherlock ohms! Lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts