Confuse to change CDP or add a new DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi fellas,

I need an advice to change my old CDP or add a new DAC. Currently my setups are :

Quad 66, Musical Fidelity M3i, ProAc Studio 110, Chord Company Chorus 2, Chord Company Epic Twin, Chord Company Signature Links, Chord Company PowerChord, Oyaide MTS-6

So here are the options for me to take :

Option 1 : Change Quad 66 to Musical Fidelity M3CD. Consideration : I love the sonic character of Musical Fidelity. It is the best match for my Musical Fidelity M3i and I really love its appearance and build quality. I have a massive Audio CD collection mostly in jazz genre.

Option 2 : Add Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. Consideration : The quality of DAC in M1 is better than the one in M3CD and also I have many FLAC files in my computer, so that if I have a separated quality DAC, I could enjoy also FLAC files in my setup. Too bad until now, Musical Fidelity doesn't have a product that plays digital music files (FLAC) like Naim HDX.

Thanks a lot for any advices and comments.

T

the record spot

Assuming the current CDP transport is fine, not falling to bits and there's still life in the old dog yet, I'd trial the offboard DAC - if you can - and give that a whirl. See also Stello's SA100 DAC. Around £700 and apparently superb by all accounts.

I agree, assuming CDP is in good condition then get an outboard DAC. It gives more room for any future upgrades you may plan.

Also agree about the Stello DAC-they are simply brilliant for the money, but not cheap. These are twice the price of the MF DAC you refer to, but probably well worth the extra.

A

Anonymous

@the record spot & Alears : thanks for the reply. yes, actually Stello SA100 is also in my buy list, I hope I have the extra budget when I am going to buy the DAC next time.

I am thinking of buying a all in one player like Arcam Solo Neo or Naim Uniti. Too bad Musical Fidelity has released any of it. I am planning to change the music source from CDS to FLAC files. Can you suggest which one is the most suitable for my setup?

Thanks a lot.

T

the record spot

Couldn't tell you about any of that mate, sorry. If it was me, I'd probably have a list of the requirements (business analyst by trade, old habits die hard y'see...) (I wonder, if I worked in the textiles trade, would old habits dye hard instead? Sorry...) and compare against the available product features for this kind of thing out there just now. You might find that something like the Squeezebox, Sonos, or other Media player can help you out with this kind of thing for less money but similar performance. Depends on budget, long term plans, etc. etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts