Conencting Denon receiver to blue ray player without HDMI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have an old'ish Denon 3802 receiver which does not have an HDMI connection and I am looking to connect it to a Blue Ray player.

I'm looking at a Sony or Panasonic and the higher spec versions of each come with Multi Channel Analogue Outputs.

Sony BDP S350 & 550 or Panasonic DMP BD35 & 60. The Sony BDP S350 is £139 at Richer Sounds.

My question is do I need to spend the extra to get a player with these Multi Channel Analogue Outputs or is there another way of connecting a BR player to the Denon?

Thanks.
Doors.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Doorsey:My question is do I need to spend the extra to get a player with these Multi Channel Analogue Outputs or is there another way of connecting a BR player to the Denon?

If you want to enjoy hi-res audio, yes you do. If not, you can use a conventional digital cable, but you'll only get standard DD/DTS quality.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. I'll go for the multi channel model then. I don't see any point in getting rid of the Denon for the forseable future just because it has no HDMI's. Hang on though - can the Denon 3802 get hi-res audio?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Provided it's in analogue, it can be as hi-res as you like. All decoded in the player, and to the receiver it's just another set of analogue signals.

A

Anonymous

Understand that now - thanks.
Now I just need to connect my Denon to my PC as well. My motherboard has the usual 6 coloured holes on it (no optical/digital connection) and I presume I require something that converts these (3.5mm?) into the red and white style connectors that will go it to the back of the Denon somewhere. I don't need the best quality, I'm just looking to be able to play some music without having to get up and change the CD every 40 minutes.
I can post again if need be as this is a separate question.
Dorian.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, if the computer has a standard 3.5mm stereo line-out or headphone socket, you can use a '3.5mm jack to two standard phono plugs' cable to suit.

A

Anonymous

That's great. I'll go on Ebuyer and see if they sell them.
Sorry to be a numpty on this, but which of the 6 coloured holes do I plug them into and where abouts on the back of the Denon do they go into - I hope they don't go into the same multi channel plugs where the BR player will go?

nads

Doorsey:That's great. I'll go on Ebuyer and see if they sell them.
Sorry to be a numpty on this, but which of the 6 coloured holes do I plug them into and where abouts on the back of the Denon do they go into - I hope they don't go into the same multi channel plugs where the BR player will go?

Opps you have just spotted the problem. yes they would.

Does the PC have an optical or Coax digital out as well?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That's what I assumed when the OP said he just wanted to play music without having to change CDs - he'll only need the cable I mentioned above if the pooter has a headphone our or, I guess if it has onboard multichannel capability, just the front let and right outputs and set all the computer's sound processing to stereo.

Almost all mutichannel soundcards use the following colour-coding:

Lime Green: Line-Out, Front Speakers, Headphones
Pink: Microphone
Light Blue: Stereo Line In
Orange: Subwoofer and Center out
Black: Surround Speakers for 5.1 and 7.1 systems
Grey: Back Surround Speakers for 7.1 systems
Gold: Midi/Game port

So in this case the OP would only have to use the green connection.

The other end of the new lead connects to any line input on the Denon - CD, Aux, Tape In/Play, etc..

A

Anonymous

I'll get the one cable and see how it goes.
I built the PC myself but I'm building a new one after I get my preordered copy of Windows 7 in October so there's no point upgrading the PC until then. It has onboard multichannel capability I believe, but have never used it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts