Component Importants

K

keeper of the quays

Turning handle...without this piece of equipment I can't wind up my gramophone.

OK.if it has to be one item....then the speakers become the most important piece in the jigsaw....they will be the deciding factor in what will actually work well within the room they are to be sited.no point in having the best sources or amps if the speakers are too small and weedy for the room or huge Floorstanding speakers in small room with suspended floors etc.so imo a system would be best built around the speakers that fit the room best,then decide how much power is needed to drive them sufficiently with the amp and then the source,people will always argue that source should be first....but modern cd players,dacs and even affordable turntables(with decent cartridge of course)are so good these days,it's not the be all and end all.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
1. The room

2. Speakers that are right for the room

3. An amplifier that's right for the speakers

4. Source components (and/or DAC) that are right for your particular preferences, whether that's vinyl, streaming subscription services, computer-based music or CD.

abacus

Speakers make the biggest difference (And have the biggest variances) so these should always be sorted first.

Choosing the amp is the next important as you must make sure it can drive the speakers without any strain.

The source will be determined by what type of playback system you are going for.

Bill

Bill

matthewpiano

I think it depends on the source. With vinyl I think the source first philosophy has some credibility. Otherwise, everything on the same level, though with very careful attention paid to amp and speaker synergy, both with each other and the listening environment.

Dom

First, thanks for all the replys, its what I thought the responses would be.

From past experience with only two sets of speakers, the MS Mezzo 6 and the MS 902i's, and although there's clearly a difference infavour of the Mezzo 6's, to get anywhere near a realistic sound you need a capable DAC. So yes I would rather have the 902i's if the DAC was really good. At the end of the day that DAC is going to make or break the system. IMHO.

K

keeper of the quays

I think having a partner who shares your love of hifi is probably the most important aspect of hifi enjoyment! In fact even those gentlemen who think cables sound the same need a hug too! In fact they need a lot of hugs? Lol...so unless your a hermit? Make sure your girlfriend,boyfriend,wife..significant other!! Likes your hobby and is supportive even when your saying preposterous things such as cables,amps sound the same? Of course your partner can't agree with such nonsense but is supportive anyway! Hahaha...so Mr cheetham this is my view..a supportive partner is the most important component..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DomCheetham said:

From past experience with only two sets of speakers, the MS Mezzo 6 and the MS 902i's, and although there's clearly a difference infavour of the Mezzo 6's, to get anywhere near a realistic sound you need a capable DAC. So yes I would rather have the 902i's if the DAC was really good. At the end of the day that DAC is going to make or break the system. IMHO.

Ive listened to quite a few cdps and DACs to be honest I have a job to tell the difference. Speakers I can always tell apart, most I could not live with. Amps need to be matched with the right speakers. Whether computer or dac makes the biggest difference I'm not sure, don't know enough about computers for audio.

Dom

BigH said:
DomCheetham said:

Ive listened to quite a few cdps and DACs to be honest I have a job to tell the difference. Speakers I can always tell apart, most I could not live with. Amps need to be matched with the right speakers. Whether computer or dac makes the biggest difference I'm not sure, don't know enough about computers for audio.

Well maybe my speakers don't match the amp well, saying that the headphones really do. Spot on. It wierd because my bro's speakers work really well with the amp.

Maybe its the room. Will invest in standmount speakers at some piont. Give the Mezzo 6's to my dad.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
= 1 Speakers & analogue source

3 amplification

4 digital source

5 cables

If you want to broaden out the definition of "components"

1 The recording

2 ears & brain

3 the home

= 4 speakers & analogue source

6 room

7 turntable support

8 amplification

9 digital source

10 cables

Dom

So far its 100% speakers first.

Thanks.

I have a ears/brain upgrade, the Ear Bud Cleaner. Works so well. And wait you can upgrade to some spray too.

I think its unbelievable the audio industry hasn't jumped on this TBH.

I was tempted to do a spoof list, starting with digital cables. But I do not think speakers are the most important. The source and amplifier are to me.

Sure, speakers change the colour of the sound in an obvious way, a bit like when you redecorate a room. But if the room is the wrong shape or too small: that's the source or amp,

Dom

Yeah like some have said its all equally important. But that not the question. The room makes a big if not biggest difference, wish I had a music hall which would make my speakers sing.

I need near field speakers I think to make use of the small room I live in. Amongst probably alot of other things.

A good amp is sure nice, but for me a super DAC is what makes me happy atm.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
1. Experience is the most important aspect

Getting out and listening finding what you like the sound of then recreating it better at home having giving yourself a reference sound to work with and better. Otherwise it's a fumble process until you find it and can waste a lot of money or time life too short for poor sound.

2. Getting a handle on your listening space ideally measuring to see what your working with then acting accordingly to fix major issues, making sure your getting the best bass response you can in your MLP.
Lot of must be science spouted on here I think their right in this regard but I wonder how many of the spouters do this vital step?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
It is really not a worth while debte IMO, the old addage used to be "rubbish in, rubbish out" but the fact is (with digital sources anyway) the technology both lends it self to and is sufficiently mature enough that we can now expect to have a very able source for very little money and we take that for granted.

So by today's standard it is easy to say speakers & room are the key but that is given the assumption we can really on a cheap source still being very competent. For a much more physical technology such as speakers there is far more scope for incompetence.

Just because we take it almost as a given and are spoilt in terms of relative cost doesn't make it any less important.

People who list: Room, speakers, amp and then source I think confuse how best to spend your money ratios with importance and this is a mistake.

There is no magic order, it is just about being appropiate in the given circumstances.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts