Complete setup - Record Player, Pre-Amp, Amp + Speakers

Paddymofo

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hey folks,

I've recently become interested in building a system for collecting and listening to records. I'm doing a bit of research and would like some help in building a complete system under <£1500. I am open to ideas etc but basically I want the best sounding system for that price, I do not want this to DJ in any way, solely for listening purposes.

I've been looking at a few options for Players/Speakers but the rest I haven't touched too much on as my knowledge is limited. I'm open to alternatives to these speakers/player if you can find better or believe I should spend more on the pre-amp+amp instead.

Player : Pro-Ject 1-Xpression Carbon Turntable.

Speakers : Pair of Adam A3X's.

I would prefer to keep a budget of £1500, and can upgrade in the future.

Much Appreciated and looking forward to some responses, cheers!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
This is what I would (pretty much am doing for the kids), and whilst excellent quality does involve a bit of DIY, which may or may not interest you.

TT = second hand Technics linear tracker e.g. SL-DL1 off ebay. I recently got one for £20 and another for £50. Excellent machines. Add a new stylus for about £13.

Preamp = Graham Slee DAK Genera. £132, but you need to be OK with a soldering iron. I managed it and it's the first thing I've ever built.

Speakers = Frugal Horn Mk3 kit including drivers from Custom Cans: £280, but sounds like £1000+.

I'll leave others to advise on integrated amp, but you've got quite a lot of money left.

Paddymofo

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, interesting! I'd like to point out that I am as un-experienced at DIY building, especially when dealing with circuits etc as you'd probably come across however if other's swear by these as well, I could potentially find someone able to assist in building.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
You would certainly get VFM, if you were to build your own speakers. It's not that difficult, getting the finish right is the hardest part. Having said that, I guess it's possible to get them pre-finished?

Paddymofo

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I will mention as well, I listen to ALL kinds of music, but primarily Techno/House/Metal & Alot of Prog Rock etc. I've been looking at the builds for the speakers and it seems beyond anything I've ever done but again, if you all swear by them, I could consider.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151478122329830&type=1

I hope the link above works. This shows the build of Frugal Horn Mk3s which are as easy as a build can get. It could be done in a day easily. All it really needs is some wood glue and clamps and a few bits and pieces, but the guidance is easily to hand. We haven't decided how to finish ours yet, but gloss paint would be very easy. Veneer a bit trickier and something I've not done yet.

As for the preamp, I'd never done anything like it before, but enjoyed it hugely and there's loads of encouragement and help available from the members of the Graham Slee forum, including the from the man himself.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Paddymofo said:
I will mention as well, I listen to ALL kinds of music, but primarily Techno/House/Metal & Alot of Prog Rock etc. I've been looking at the builds for the speakers and it seems beyond anything I've ever done but again, if you all swear by them, I could consider.

Most folks will buy 'off the shelf' speakers. For one thing you can try before you buy (sound and finish), and then there's obviously the work involved if you self-build. There's a company called Wilmslow Audio that I'm pretty sure do in-house demos, so maybe other suppliers will too? Wilmslow can also supply pre-finished cabinets, even fully built, but this will obviously come at a premium, still good value though. If you're considering doing a self-build, try to audition first, unless said kit is based on a speaker you're already familiar with. I'm sure Ifor can offer more/better advice. I've seen his build, and if they sound as good as they look, well....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts