Compatibility Questions for Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital True HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently looking at acquiring an Onkyo TX-SR605 or TX-SR805 A/V Receiver which I know are both capable of decoding Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital True HD. In addition, I am also looking at getting the Sony BDP-S1 for my Blu-ray player. What I notice however on the Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player is their emphasis on the following:

Dolby® Digital plus Decoding

* Yes(after firmware upgrade higher than ver.2.00); HDMI™ bitstream out: No (Dolby® Digital Stream Only)

Dolby® TrueHD Decoding

* Yes(after firmware upgrade higher than ver.2.00); HDMI™ bitstream out: No (Dolby® Digital Stream Only)

Will I be able to experience Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Digital True HD should I pick this setup? What do they mean when they say that only Dolby Digital stream if HDMI?

Does that mean that I will not be able to experience Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Digital True HD if I only use an HDMI 1.3 ver.? Do I need an optical cable? I plan to use a 5.1 Monitor Audio RS6 speaker setup for my system. I also hear that the whole decoding of Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital True HD will change when you apply it to an HD DVD player. Meaning, it will not not decode unless it has met all the requirements required for it to function at optimum level.

This is pretty confusing, any light on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Basically it means the player will decode the soundtracks internally and output them either as multichannel analogue, through a fistful of interconnects, or will deliver them as Linear PCM via the HDMI output. But it won't deliver a direct DDHD/DTSHD datastream for the receiver to get its teeth into.

A

Anonymous

Does that mean I won't be taking full advantage of the DDHD/DTSHD capabilities of my Blu-ray player and A/V receiver? What can I do to take full advantage of it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Wait and hope and pray that eventually the player makers and the disc manufacturers sometime come to an agreement to allow the full datastreams to be let out of the players.

TRENDING THREADS