Comparison of Naim Supernait3 with Rega Aethos

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Good morning everyone
I started the forum "Naim nait xs3 and Rega Elicit mk5 amp comparison" and after several comparisons with other members I came to the conclusion that in the end it is my ears that will have to decide, and for this reason I am waiting for it to arrive from my supplier. new Rega Elicit mk5 to be able to listen to it and compare it with the Naim nait xs3.
Meanwhile reading some articles and reviews on other sites as well, I thought I might raise the bar and compare the Naim Supernait 3 with the Rega Aethos.
I have read some reviews and they are definitely two very good amplifiers.
For those who know them, he can tell me his opinion about it.
What do you think.
Hello everybody

I’m sure both are very good indeed. The snag is, when you get to £3000 and above, there are many other excellent integrated amps from brands like Rotel, ATC, Copland, Exposure, Primare, Gato, Norma, PrimLuna and many others. Given the choice, I’d be looking beyond the Naim and Rega unless you’re wedded to their character or design.

daytona600

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
Both solid choices but very limited features for £2/3k
Exposure 3510 , Copland CSA70 , Marantz PM-12SE , Marantz Model 30 , Rotel RA-1592MKII , Musical Fidelity M6Si
£4K gets a massive feature set these days Rotel Michi X3 , Elipson P1/A2700
Rotel Michi X3 Integrated Amplifier | Hi-Fi News (hifinews.com)
Elipson P1F Preamp & A2700 Power Amplifier Review | StereoNET United Kingdom
The Ellison combo is a tad more than £4k, but point taken.
When it comes to functionality I would certainly include the Parasound Halo Hint 6 on the list.....
However, looking at the OPs choices he seems to be after a basic amplifier

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I’m sure both are very good indeed. The snag is, when you get to £3000 and above, there are many other excellent integrated amps from brands like Rotel, ATC, Copland, Exposure, Primare, Gato, Norma, PrimLuna and many others. Given the choice, I’d be looking beyond the Naim and Rega unless you’re wedded to their character or design.

Of course I can expand my choice and so I will, I am linked to the supplier where I got the naim nait xs3 and in order to return it, if I return it, I have to choose between the brands handled by this dealer.
From what I remember besides i naim and rega it has rotel, cambridge, nad, audiolab, and others that I don't remember.
However, it is right that you do some checks by listening to multiple brands in comparison.
My choice on naim is rega is related to the reviews I have read and the various comments on the sites, where it is claimed that both of these amps are at the top for sound quality in their price range / category.

Of course I can expand my choice and so I will, I am linked to the supplier where I got the naim nait xs3 and in order to return it, if I return it, I have to choose between the brands handled by this dealer.
From what I remember besides i naim and rega it has rotel, cambridge, nad, audiolab, and others that I don't remember.
However, it is right that you do some checks by listening to multiple brands in comparison.
My choice on naim is rega is related to the reviews I have read and the various comments on the sites, where it is claimed that both of these amps are at the top for sound quality in their price range / category.
Fair enough. The thing is Rega and Naim each have quite distinctive sounds, and you’ll hear that if you can audition, say, a Rotel as a comparison. You may love the Rega, but try something else if you can. At that price level, I’d say don’t bother with Audiolab, but if you can get a Cambridge Edge then they’re pretty awesome.

Sorry.
Explain yourself better
Quite blunt eh?
What I mean is are you likely to want to attach a turntable because if you do you'll probably need extra equipment.
Other than that I meant where are you planning to get your music from, which sources will you attach to said amp?
Because if you do not need an amplifier with a built in phono stage then don't buy one..... Certainly when it costs £800 more than the other amplifier on your list.
Having said that audition is the key.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12th Monkey

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Yes, I'm Italian, I don't think this can be a problem, only that when translated literally, the meaning of the words may not correspond to the meaning you want to express, this applies to both translations both in one sense and the other.
However, I am not interested in many features, the amp must have the CD input and the phono input, and above all it must sound good, then in the future I will be able to add an external device with digital DAC inputs and more.
To choose an amp not knowing it, I rely on the reviews then on the opinions on the various forums and then of course it is above all on listening.
Cordial greetings.

Yes, I'm Italian, I don't think this can be a problem, only that when translated literally, the meaning of the words may not correspond to the meaning you want to express, this applies to both translations both in one sense and the other.
However, I am not interested in many features, the amp must have the CD input and the phono input, and above all it must sound good, then in the future I will be able to add an external device with digital DAC inputs and more.
To choose an amp not knowing it, I rely on the reviews then on the opinions on the various forums and then of course it is above all on listening.
Cordial greetings.
Thank you.
As I suggested if you need a phono input to add a turntable then the Aethos is probably not a good buy as it doesn't have an internal phono stage.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Thank you.
As I suggested if you need a phono input to add a turntable then the Aethos is probably not a good buy as it doesn't have an internal phono stage.

I am aware that Aethos does not have a phono stage, but from the reviews I have read (also of this site) I wanted to know what you think and if I like it more, I could still think of taking it by adding an external phono stage, always taking into account the suggestions you have given me about listening to other brands.
Thank you

Reactions: Al ears
I am aware that Aethos does not have a phono stage, but from the reviews I have read (also of this site) I wanted to know what you think and if I like it more, I could still think of taking it by adding an external phono stage, always taking into account the suggestions you have given me about listening to other brands.
Thank you
Indeed, have a listen to it.
Good external phono preamps can be had fairly cheaply.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
However, taking into account all the suggestions I had about considering other brands, which I will certainly do, let's go back to the initial question.
I would like to have your opinion of comparison between the Supernait3 and Aethos.

I think that is what we have been trying to do.
Basically there is no comparison. They are completely different tonally and build-wise. Apart from the fact they are both integrated amplifiers of quite differing cost that's about as far as you can go.
I don't think there is anyone here that can tell you which is best for you.

Reactions: Gray

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I think that is what we have been trying to do.
Basically there is no comparison. They are completely different tonally and build-wise. Apart from the fact they are both integrated amplifiers of quite differing cost that's about as far as you can go.
I don't think there is anyone here that can tell you which is best for you.

My question was not to know which is best for me but to know which is best for you, your opinion.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I understand, you do not want to express yourself, I wanted to know what you think regardless of the positive or negative judgment.
With that money what would you get.

D

Deleted member 160668

I understand, you do not want to express yourself, I wanted to know what you think regardless of the positive or negative judgment.
With that money what would you get.
A Sugden.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts