Compare 2 Sonos play:3 versus 2 Q acoustics 2010i or 2020i ?

Rob_B

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
hh

Dear all,

I'm considering to get some new Q-Acoustics 2010i or maybe 2020i (in combo with my 15 year old kenwood receiver), or to go for two stand alone Sonos play:3 speakers. Appart from the Sonos network ability advantages, I was wondering how the sonic quality compares?

thanks in advance for your feedback

Rob

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I doubt the Play:3s will compare favourably, even in a stereo pair, just compare the size of the drivers.

A Play:5 pair, with a Sonos Sub, now you might be getting somewhere...

Rob_B

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the anwer The_Lhc.

In summary:

The play:3 does 3"/ The play:5 does 3" for the mids and 3.5" for the woofer.

The 2010i does 4" and the 2020i does 5" (approx.)

Hence, looking at the price of the play:5 +sub system, I can do without the network stuff.

Am I right to consider a 15 year old 2x40Watt Kenwood receiver which is still in good condition (has been occasionaly been used at low volumes) will do fine with the Q-acoustics?

Thanks

Greetings

Rob

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Cypher said:
I quess the Q acoustics speakers sound much better.

I heard a Sonos Play 5 once........was not impressed at all.

Althought that seems to be a minority opinion.

Is it ? Budgetspeakers like q acoustics, dali zensor, tannoy V1 sound much better than the sonos speakers. No contest there.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
The_Lhc said:
Cypher said:
I quess the Q acoustics speakers sound much better.

I heard a Sonos Play 5 once........was not impressed at all.

Althought that seems to be a minority opinion.

Is it ? Budgetspeakers like q acoustics, dali zensor, tannoy V1 sound much better than the sonos speakers. No contest there.

No, I meant that the Play:5 isn't impressive compared against other similar devices, not against full speaker setups, which are obviously going to sound better (although a Play:5 stereo pair is supposed to be quite impressive). The Play:5 generally gets very good reviews.

popsys

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I wondered if any one out there can advise, I am considering buying a pair of bookshelf speakers, much has been said about Sonos play 1, just wonder how these might compare with a pair of wired speakers e.g. Roth Oli ra2's or perhaps Q Acoustics 2020's? (both of which can be bought as a pair for same price - abt £160), I am purely interested in quality of sound at low to med levels, any thoughts? or would I need to spend much more for sound quality to match the Sonos? Thx in advance

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bear in mind the £169 for the Play:1 is for a single speaker, so you'd have to factor in the cost of the buying two of them, although there is a deal on at the moment, £299 for a pair of Play:1s. Coupled with the new Trueplay tuning they're supposed to be very good, even more so I'd imagine if you're only listening at quiet levels, although room size is going to be a factor, a speaker as small as the Play:1 is going to struggle to energise a large space. Ultimately the only way you can know for sure is to go and listen to all the options.

I notice you haven't mentioned an amp, obviously if you go for the passive speakers you'll have to factor in the cost of an appropriate amp and source to play through the speakers, which isn't something you need to worry about with the Play:1s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts