Compact standmount upgrade

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my B&W 685s.

I listen to all kinds of music, but most of my collection leans towards electronic/dance/ambient, so although I'm not a huge bass fiend (I find the 685s a bit tactless and a bit in your face) I do like a certain amount of extension and detail so I can tell what's going on down there.

Overall I guess I'm looking for a fast, open, detailed speaker with great soundstage that puts a lot of space around the performers/strands of the music (something I quite miss from my old Alpha 9). I don't mind a little sparkle in the treble and I'm happy to sacrifice a little neutrality for some sweetness.

Ideally I'm looking for something smaller than the 685s. At the moment my leading candidate is the DB1i, but I'm yet to audition. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'd be gaining/losing in bass performance between the DB1is and 685s?

Budget is up to about 1000 pounds, but being in Japan there are various exchange issues. Please don't suggest the signature 8's unless you think they are still good value at around 2000 pounds (distributor must be having a laugh, for that price I could fly to the UK and pick up a pair).

Balancing things out with a sub isn't an option either and I am a little limited about placement, so ideally I'd like to push the speakers back and have them a max 30cm from the wall (although I'm managing about 45 for the 685s)

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
I guess you mean Proac sig 8s. If so the AVI neutron 5s are as good as and cost less than half the price. I auditioned both and was happy to purchase the Neutrons. They are fast , have a beautiful midrange and a similar soundstage as the Proacs.

I was playing some live Kraftwerk last night and the speakers kept up no problem.

Having used B&W 6 series in the past, yoou will lose a lower octave but the bass will be tighter and more articulate.

Ask AVI about importing.

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I used to have the B&W 685's but due to room layout i have the speakers close to walls, the B&W seemed quite bass heavy and didn't enjoy listening to them as good as they are!! I have now switched to the Rega RS1's and what a great little speaker they are.. smaller and they are not fussy about positioning. I have them just 10cm from rear walls and they sound superb. come in at a good price also.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
kusum65:
I guess you mean Proac sig 8s. If so the AVI neutron 5s are as good as and cost less than half the price. I auditioned both and was happy to purchase the Neutrons. They are fast , have a beautiful midrange and a similar soundstage as the Proacs.

I was playing some live Kraftwerk last night and the speakers kept up no problem.

Having used B&W 6 series in the past, yoou will lose a lower octave but the bass will be tighter and more articulate.

Ask AVI about importing.

Hi kusum65.

Can you tell me how close to the wall you have them, or if you know what they sound like close to a wall, or even on a bookshelf if thats possible?
Could you also say what electronics you are using your Neutrons with?

sorry about all the questions.

many thanks. :)

John Duncan

They sound fuller close to a wall than not (this was with a Primare A20 Mk2). They're very good, but they may feel bass-light compared to the 685s. The DB1s are better, but at substantially higher price obviously...

Have you considered EB Acoustic EB1s?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I really like the look of th regas, but no distributor in Japan which means importing myself. It's a pity, when I've heard rega kit before I've rather liked it. International shipping puts me off the EB1s. That and the potential interaction between the EB1s rear port and the wall.

I know it may be superficial, but considering the quality/price of my Esoteric RZ-1 (around 2300 pounds at current rates, very detailed, and natural, punchy and dynamic but a little on the lean side of neutral), I know I'd have a nagging feeling that the speakers are the weakest link buying too far below the 1000 pound mark.

I may be limiting myself too much by wanting a compact size.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi JD,

I am surprised about your opinion on Neutrin, are they that good to be partnered with expensive Amp like Primare, secondly the sound signature of Neutron is comparable in the league of DB1 and Focus 110?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts