Compact floorstanders vs. adding a sub.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a pair of PMC DB1i, and they're wonderful, and in my set-up it has a beutifully expressive mid-range, particularly for vocals, but as I also listen to a lot of electronic music like Aphex Twin, I have been missing the lower registers.

DB1i do good bass, for their size, but they don't quite reach low enough for some of my music.

I was thinking of changing to some BX5 or RX6, and went and had a listen today. I did like the energy, integration and bass depth of the BX5, but I knew I wouldn't be happy.

I was surprised that I wasn't more impressed by the RX6. Bass was good, but for everything else, the DB1i have them beat (for my own tastes, anyway).

I figured that the only way to keep the parts of the DB1i that I like was to either save up for some GB1i, but being somewhat impatient and impuslive, I purchased a smallish sealed sub which I'll hook up with high-level connections. I'll be interested to see if this can satisfy my itch, and just how well I can integrate it into my system and my living room, which has some slightly puzzling interactions with bass.

I don't think it is available outside of Japan

http://www.fostex.jp/products/CW200A

But I'll report back on how it goes.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
If you listen to the likes of Aphex twin, then unless you get some huge full range speakers, a sub is the better option.

"Ageispolis" doesn't sound nearly so good without one!

If you haven't listened already btw, I recommend Biosphere's last album "N-plants", which your reference to Japan made me think of... Some serious sub-bass on that one! :)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
If you listen to the likes of Aphex twin, then unless you get some huge full range speakers, a sub is the better option.

"Ageispolis" doesn't sound nearly so good without one!

If you haven't listened already btw, I recommend Biosphere's last album "N-plants", which your reference to Japan made me think of... Some serious sub-bass on that one! :)

love n-plants

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the music suggestions! I''ll definitely check them out :dance: I was trying to work out whether the fact that I was listening to more accoustic and vocal music was due to getting older or a reflection of where my current speakers excel. Even when running B&W 685s (which have pretty good bass, but don't actually reach that deep) I have been missing a lot of information from the lower registers.

If the sub doesn't work out, I'd suggest GB1is or TB2is. I know the TBs are standmouted but boast a bigger bass and midrange cone. Should do the trick.

I had the same problem with the DB1is. Great for most music but when I came to play DVDs, especially ones with hefty bangs and crashes (WWII films), it was naturally lacking compared to the RS6s.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks PP. Was considering the TB2i at one point, but one of the reasons I switched from the 685s to the DB1i was because I wanted something a bit less imposing (self imposed restraints in a smallish Japanese apartment).

I do like the GB1i, but I'll have to save up. My dream upgrade would be the GB1i, unless I upgrade to a new apartment/house that will allow bigger speakers and separates to really shine.

For the time being I'm hoping the adjustability of the sub will allow me to compensate for some of the uneven bass response I get in my living room.

ID. said:
Thanks PP. Was considering the TB2i at one point, but one of the reasons I switched from the 685s to the DB1i was because I wanted something a bit less imposing (self imposed restraints in a smallish Japanese apartment).

I do like the GB1i, but I'll have to save up. My dream upgrade would be the GB1i, unless I upgrade to a new apartment/house that will allow bigger speakers and separates to really shine.

For the time being I'm hoping the adjustability of the sub will allow me to compensate for some of the uneven bass response I get in my living room.

What amp do you have?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Being out of the UK changes what I can listen to, the relative prices and also means that not many people on the forum will have heard my kit. e.g. prices for PMC, or even availability of other speaker brands I'd love to check out like Totem.

My "amp" is

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/rz1/indexe.html

So part of my whole stereo set-up is keeping things simple and compact.

As far as the characteristics of the RZ-1, it is slightly on the lean side, but very expressive and quite natural. It partly depends on which of the 2 DAC settings I'm using at the time. Its pretty punchy. Detailed without being too in your face about it (same with the DB1i, I think)

Maybe slightly rolled off at the very top of the trebls.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, baby :dance:

It's arrived and loosening up as we speak, but I have a big grin on my face.

Still faffing around with the set up, and there's an odd collection of speaker cables snaking around the front of my living room, but it's sounding good.

I'd forgotten, or in some cases didn't even know, what I'd been missing. I seems to have opened up my speakers and the sound stage and imaging have improved without the dinky boxes struggling with bass. Degonested?

Welcome back dub, hello Daft Punk Tron soundtrack, thank you Mr. Apex Twin. Even on things that aren't really bass monsters the balance seems to be working out better the the lower registers filled in. I'm surprised by how much I was missing even on things like the Rolling Stones.

:bounce:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Rather than go with BX5s as a temporary solution until I save up for GB1is, I decided to try out a smallish sealed sub made specifically for music. Pretty cheap, probably around 200 pounds at current exchange rates, but It's good. Surprisingly subtle in a good way, and I've managed to set it up so that I get more even bass than I would've with floorstanders (I tend to get a bit of bloom in the mid to low bass in my living room).

Bass is fast detailed and tuneful and for most of the frequency range I get to keep the characteristics I love about my DB1is, or even improve them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts