Compact amplifier with phono input, under £500

78finn

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I am looking for a compact amplifier with phono input, under £500.

I'm really pushed for space so really need something small.

I only play vinyl, so a simple amp would work.

I have a Technics 1210mk2 and a pair of Tannoy DC6. Currently hooked up to a Rotel RA-10 which I'm looking to replace.

Thanks in advance, for your help :)

78finn

May 8, 2009
Visit site
If you can stretch that budget a bit, or find a used one, you could get the latest Rega Brio, which should work just lovely with the Tannoys, and has a very decent phonostage.

Really like the Brio, also like the look of the Cyrus One as well, but was wondering if there are any options at a lower price point?

rainsoothe

The Nad is a great call, forgot about it. Rega is also launching a budget amp sometime soon (if they didn't already), so if you want, you could also wait for reviews for it. It's called Rega Io, and it looks kinda crappy, but might sound good. If not, you probably can't go wrong with the Nad - but make sure it's the d3020 v2, as the first version doesn't have a phono pre.

Reactions: 78finn

78finn

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Edwards Audio IA1 Mk2
excellent sound , very compact 50wpc with superb phono stage
£449 or £499 with remote control
& hand built in the UK

.View attachment 1131
I guess the down side to compact amps is the lack of bass and treble adjustment right? Means you have to get your speaker and room setup absolutely spot on, as there is know tuning the output at all. Unless I'm missing something?

I guess the down side to compact amps is the lack of bass and treble adjustment right? Means you have to get your speaker and room setup absolutely spot on, as there is know tuning the output at all. Unless I'm missing something?
Many amps these days do not have the facility of treble and bass adjustments or even balance as they are deemed unnecessary and trying to find them on a compact amp is even less likely.
I guess they are implying, with the right speakers, you don't need them.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I had a look and found a little amp called the PS Audio Sprout and it was 600 USD. "Fits the bill" I thought, but it turns out that 600 US equals 800 quid over here. Who'd a thunk it!

78finn

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Many amps these days do not have the facility of treble and bass adjustments or even balance as they are deemed unnecessary and trying to find them on a compact amp is even less likely.
I guess they are implying, with the right speakers, you don't need them.

I find that a strange design choice as I'm constantly adjusting the bass and trebble to suite the types of music I listen to. My setup is mostly suited to electronic music, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to classical etc. I've yet to find anyone with a "perfect" setup that suits all types of music straight out of the box

Last edited:
Reactions: knaithrover

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts