Comet Extended Warranty - worth it???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Firstly, I'm new to this forum, at least as a poster - I have been browsing recently, as I've found the advice on here to be to excellent, and it's helped me make a purchase (Panasonic PX70 37").

I've ordered it from Comet, and as usual they were trying to flog me their extended warranty.

I usually don't entertain this, as it seems very expensive, and usually I understand the technology and risk.

However, as I'm buying a Plasma - I'm twitchy about image burn, and longevity / reliability.

So... @ £215 for 5 years... is it worth it? Or not?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Let's see - that makes it £800 or so plus £215 for the warranty? Well, you could always buy it from the 'never knowingly undersold' people with a Panasonic DMR-EZ27 DVD Recorder for £878 including five year warranty, plus an extra £99 for the stand, or without the recorder for £898 including stand and warranty.

You pays yer money...

Or you could stick the £200 in a savings account, and use it in case anything happens to the TV, or towards a new TV some time in the future...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="McStumpy"]
So... @ £215 for 5 years... is it worth it? Or not?

[/quote]

No.....not worth it especially as you can buy this TV outright now for arounf £700.00. Save your money or perhaps consider investing in a good DVD Player like a Denon DVD 1740 or Pioneer DV600 both approx £120.00 and some good cable. If you want to get a warranty maybe go for a 1 year extended warranty

You can get a quote online from Domestic & General via their website

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice.

The Comet warranty covers accidental damage, but then so does my Home Insurance (only items above £1,000 need be declared separately).

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I made the fatal mistake of getting a comet 4yr warranty when i purchased my old lg rear projection a few years ago , only to get it home and find out there is a warranty card with the instructions and its cheaper to get the warranty direct from the manufacturure then them !

as far as i know this comes with every new tv now and has done for years and will be a lot cheaper !

A

Anonymous

I bought from sound and vision online (but visited their Bolton store - same price in store) and paid £699 for a 37px70 including PANASONIC 5 year warranty and the pedestal stand.

Panasonic have a web site stating this offer is only available in store until 24th December (originally until 30th Nov, but has been extended). You have to receive a Panasonic HD demo to have the warranty offer.

matthewpiano

When 5 year warranties are on offer from both Sony and Panasonic through Sony Centres (Sony only of course), John Lewis, and independents, why would you buy from Comet and pay for their warranty????

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]When 5 year warranties are on offer from both Sony and Panasonic through Sony Centres (Sony only of course), John Lewis, and independents, why would you buy from Comet and pay for their warranty????[/quote]

Price. At the time I researched it, the Comet deal (with Px70 and cab stand) was very, very good. I didn't see that JL had the equivalent deal.

I'll check out Panasonic themselves, though, to see if they can offer a separate warranty - although my question still stands, do I really, really need this warranty? i.e. is screen burn a real concern, and is reliability pretty much a given with Panasonic?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's a calculated risk, like any extended warranty. Panasonic TVs are no more or less reliable than any other brand, but of course one-off failures do occur, and if you're the kind of person who likes to feel protected from such eventualities, I guess the warranty might be worth considering.

Doubt it'll cover screen-burn, though...

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I never purchase any extended warranties. I've only ever had one item I would of needed it on (Oven) and the way I see it the money I've saved by not buying any over the years has more than covered the cost of the repair.

As was said earlier, accidental damage is usually covered under house insurance - Thats how I got my new TV, my old one was accidently damaged beyond repair - coincidently just 1 month before I changed insurers.
Note- normally it is only valuables (i.e jewellery) over £1000 that need a seperate policy/mention, your £1000+ appliances will be covered under your basic policy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - backs up my gut feel that these warranties are designed for companies benefit, not mine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts