Advice on music playing software - is it worth it?

Jarnesque

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi

This may be a very naive question I'm about to ask but what's the views on whether dedicated music playing software sounds any better than iTunes and if so, which one to go for?

I've been using the demo version of Pure Music for the last couple of weeks and while the 'obsessive audiophile' part of me thinks it's worth splashing out 'just in case', the sensible part of me thinks I'm really not sure I can tell much difference! As it takes a few seconds to switch from one to the other, it's difficult to know if there is anything in it and if it was a blind control I'm really not sure if I would know which was which.

Other people's experience?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I use BitPerfect, which is about £7 if I recall correctly. Benefits for me are:. (1) Hog mode; (2) memory playback (less wear & tear on the NAS, particularly if one of my kids is also streaming something from it); (3) automatically switches the DAC's bitrate and bitdepth on what few hi-res albums I own. I've never been under any illusion that it somehow positively breathes wonders on the sound quality, because the digital audio output from a Mac can be made to be 'bit perfect' without the need for additional software.

Southsea

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Apologies to the OP but I've always wondered why you / anyone wouldn't use Windows Media Player, given it now supports FLAC and is not going away any time soon? What am I missing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts