Question Combine Stereo and Surround Sound

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Apologise if this has been posted before but can't find the specifics of this query.

I have a stereo setup which includes -

Rotel RA-06se
Rotel RB-1552
Marantz CD6006
Project Esstenial
B&W 684

I have a surround sound setup which includes-

Onkyo TX-SR333
Cambridge Audio minx surround and Centre speakers with an eltax sub

Now for one reason or another I don't get time to listen to my stereo anymore and wanted to free up some space.

Is there a way I can hook up my floorstanders in replacement of my front surroujd speakers; to be used with the 5.1 and as a standalone stereo setup? Will the power amp be defunked if I have this setup?

Any other issues with this setup that you could highlight would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to move those hefty speakers as their perfectly placed for stereo sound. Yes I know, redundant since I don't listen to them much anymore but you know, audiophiles.

Many thanks

jjbomber

What front surround speakers do you use at the moment?

Otherwise the answer is yes. Hook up the B&W to the Onkyo. In stereo you can put the Onkyo into direct mode. It won't sound as good as the Rotels, so I'd try it and give it a good audition before selling the Rotels.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
What front surround speakers do you use at the moment?

Otherwise the answer is yes. Hook up the B&W to the Onkyo. In stereo you can put the Onkyo into direct mode. It won't sound as good as the Rotels, so I'd try it and give it a good audition before selling the Rotels.

The front surrounds are CA Minx speakers. I did try it out and moved the 684s to the front. It was a b***h to get the threads on the speakers cables to clip onto the AV amp.

I was rather pleasantly surprised by the sound in stereo mode. May have been mostly because it was in 2.1 with a fair hefty kick from bottom end. But I could definitely tell, top end was lacking.

Is there a way of still being able to utilise the Rotel stereo or power amp with this setup? Would I not be able to use the AV as like a pre-amp?

Will say this though, 5.1 setup with movies sounds incredible. Maybe need a B&W centre speaker now though ;)

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
yes. but it doesn't free up any space!

Fair point yes but in a fortunate position that my hifi setup is in a separate area to where the 5.1 cinema setup is in the living room.

The hifi rack and seperates (most of them) could shift over to the cinema's rack. I just wondered if its possible to keep at least 1 rotel amp to run the floorstanders for that rare music listening session.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what I've done!

I moved the Power Amp alongside the AV, plugged interconnects to the Line-Out on the Onkyo now the whole audio doesn't work. Stereo or surround.

Have no idea whats happened!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what I've done!

I moved the Power Amp alongside the AV, plugged interconnects to the Line-Out on the Onkyo now the whole audio doesn't work. Stereo or surround.

Have no idea whats happened!

Oops , i just checked up the onkyo. The line out is for zone 2 output. So only when on to zone 2, will the rotel power amp receive the signal. But then your surrounds won't work, as you can only switch between zone 1 or zone 2. And cant use both at the same time,.

You ideally need a AVR with preamp outputs for atheist the front L&R speakers.

TRENDING THREADS