Coloured or neutral?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

idc:So will the V-DAC will have no place in your system?

The V-DAC will still be used for running the computer through the hi-fi so that I can use Spotify etc.

I'm not sure I like what it does to CDs. Its very good at soundstaging and tonal quality but it seems to flatten the mid-range and make vocals recede towards the back of the soundstage.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:...and make vocals recede towards the back of the soundstage.
My Spendors do that, adding greater depth to the sound. Love it
emotion-1.gif

idc

matthewpiano:idc:So will the V-DAC will have no place in your system? The V-DAC will still be used for running the computer through the hi-fi so that I can use Spotify etc. I'm not sure I like what it does to CDs. Its very good at soundstaging and tonal quality but it seems to flatten the mid-range and make vocals recede towards the back of the soundstage.

Yet the DAC in my MF amp does not do that and it keeps the mid-range to the fore, which is the MF sound according to its founder and my experience. Your description suggestes a coloured sound after all. Does that mean there is a difference between digital and USB connections, or is it really the difference between CD and PC?

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:the record spot:That could be a really good mix with the upfront CA 650A you've got; plenty of punch from it, but kept in balance by the more analogue nature the Q's posess. £150? Very good price too.

Another thanks owed to you Record Spot, and also to manicm and ear. Your comments made me try my 340C CD player again in place of the NAD now that I have the speakers, and it sounds different again. With this amp and speaker combination the CA CD player sounds much better tonally than the NAD and takes me 70% there. Consequently rather than changing an excellent amplifier that has plenty of power I'm now going to buy the matching 650C CD player, which should give me something which combines the 340C's sense of vigour and tonal accuracy with more finesse and further clarity of soundstaging.

You know, I wonder if it's maybe worth checking out an Exposure 2010 for around the same money. Or a new 2010s which you might get on a deal as Exposure brought out the new upgraded version recently. I only mention this as - albeit not having heard it myself - there's a lot of chat around some CA kit coming over as slightly lean at times. The 2010 CDP has the same dynamism and clarity I think, but has a deeper bottom end to go with it. Definitely not lacking then, for classical music, and might partner your 650 amp well.

Cablewise, Audioquest Copperhead at £65 is money well spent IMO. If you go down the 650C CDP route after all, this might be a good partner to tame any raucous high ends and likely would work well with the Exposure amp.

Just a thought though, I'm sure the 650C & 650A would work well together, but for similar outlay you might well improve on it perhaps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts