Cno Evil - Linn Silver interconnect question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Cno,

A guy from another forum who runs his own cable Company has offered to make me up some XLR's using Cardas Gold connectors and high quality, low capacitance Furutec hyperbalanced cable for approx £220... I am relatively ignorant when it comes to cable, would this be a good deal? and a better valued option than the Linn Silver?

Cheers

Mac

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Glad that the stands are proving their worth (they can have a surprising effect).....that just leaves the Silvers....Oh, the pressure!

[/quote]

He He!

They were posted yesterday so should be able to try them in next day or two. Keep you posted of my findings.

Cheers

Ambrose

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Cno,

A guy from another forum who runs his own cable Company has offered to make me up some XLR's using Cardas Gold connectors and high quality, low capacitance Furutec hyperbalanced cable for approx £220... I am relatively ignorant when it comes to cable, would this be a good deal? and a better valued option than the Linn Silver?

Cheers

Mac

You are asking me an impossible question, but the "home-made" cable is very good looking "on paper". If you have the option to return it, I would give it a go, as if it's good, you will know it.

I think it looks good value, but the truth of the pudding.......

Edit. What's the feedback like from other forum members.....maybe the most reliable guide.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
He He!

They were posted yesterday so should be able to try them in next day or two. Keep you posted of my findings.

Cheers

Ambrose

Nb. They are directional (little triangular arrows pointing from source to amp).

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Cno,

Cheers

Mac

You are asking me an impossible question, but the "home-made" cable is very good looking "on paper". If you have the option to return it, I would give it a go, as if it's good, you will know it.

Edit. What's the feedback like from other forum members.....maybe the most reliable guide.

I use these Reference Saturns Macspur and i like them, they seem to do everything right and get out of the way of the music. Treble and mid is very nice and well balanced, bass is also good but i struggle on a description as the bass from these Adams are not a patch on the Totems i had in the lower frequencies.

Construction wise the Cardas connectors are probably the best available and cost in the region of £80 a pair, the reason they have changed to Furutech connection is down to supplier problems . The cable used is from memory is the same as used in Furutechs own Alpha Line Plus IC but with there own braiding etc. Nothing new in this approach, Naim used to rebadge Belkin and may still do.

The only downfall is the resale value as they are essencially home brew cable. They are though properly balanced and at the lenghts i needed was the cheapest option but im glad i got them, very nice.

I have no qualms with them :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
shooter said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Cno,

Cheers

Mac

I use these Reference Saturns Macspur and i like them, they seem to do everything right and get out of the way of the music. Treble and mid is very nice and well balanced, bass is also good but i struggle on a description as the bass from these Adams are not a patch on the Totems i had in the lower frequencies.

Construction wise the Cardas connectors are probably the best available and cost in the region of £80 a pair, the reason they have changed to Furutech connection is down to supplier problems . The cable used is from memory is the same as used in Furutechs own Alpha Line Plus IC but with there own braiding etc. Nothing new in this approach, Naim used to rebadge Belkin and may still do.

The only downfall is the resale value as they are essencially home brew cable. They are though properly balanced and at the lenghts i needed was the cheapest option but im glad i got them, very nice.

Thanks for that Shooter... as usual it will come down to money and just been landed with a nice dental bill, which may mean I have to put this on the back burner.

boohoo.gif

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:

Shooter, how do they compare with the Cardas GFs, which are exceptional.

Your point about re-sale is very valid......are they returnable if not suitable?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shooter said:

Your point about re-sale is very valid......are they returnable if not suitable?

Unfortunately not Cno.

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Unfortunately not Cno.

Cheers

Mac

In that case, when you are back in the market for one, I would first try a Linn Silver off Ebay, which can then be re-sold at little loss, if necessary......Ambrose should be giving his view shortly, which could help your decision.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Unfortunately not Cno.

Cheers

Mac

In that case, when you are back in the market for one, I would first try a Linn Silver off Ebay, which can then be re-sold at little loss, if necessary......Ambrose should be giving his view shortly, which could help your decision.

Yes agreed, thanks Cno... looking forward to Ambrose's thoughts.

Cheers

Mac

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shooter said:

No not returnable but Reference Fidelity do a cable pass around now and then for people who want to try before makeing any commitment. It was a gamble but i'm happy with them especially knowing the cost of the parts alone would warrent them being around the 1k price bracket if bought in a shop.

Comparing them to the Cardas is really difficult as the system was totally new and unheard by me and i;m not sure how much of an inpact they have on the sound either, i'm thinking probably less than a passive system but really i dont know. What i hear is very good, i'm getting sounds i never heard before but that could be the speakers or dac/transport or a bit of both. The only way i could have a good idea on them if i put them in the old system, its to hard to call.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:
No not returnable but Reference Fidelity do a cable pass around now and then for people who want to try before makeing any commitment. It was a gamble but i'm happy with them especially knowing the cost of the parts alone would warrent them being around the 1k price bracket if bought in a shop.

Comparing them to the Cardas is really difficult as the system was totally new and unheard by me and i;m not sure how much of an inpact they have on the sound either, i'm thinking probably less than a passive system but really i dont know. What i hear is very good, i'm getting sounds i never heard before but that could be the speakers or dac/transport or a bit of both. The only way i could have a good idea on them if i put them in the old system, its to hard to call.

Honest answer - thank you.

The Reference Fidelity cable certainly seems to have the right credentials.

Cno

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Unfortunately not Cno.

Cheers

Mac

Yes agreed, thanks Cno... looking forward to Ambrose's thoughts.

Cheers

Mac

Still waiting delivery! :doh:

They were posted I am told Monday afternoon so I really hope to have them tomorrow and give a whirl tomorrow night for a first up impression.

Still can't believe the level of detail the super D's are uncovering... it's exquisite! Not even sure I'll try mass loading but early days....

Never paid enough attention to fine tuning and accessories in the past and really starting to pay dividends in my current setup.

:beer:

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Have the Linn Silvers turned up yet Ambrose?

Cheers

Mac

I was too frightened to ask!

Lol!

Could be a good sign... maybe too absorbed to come on the forum.

Mac

More like trying to figure out how to let me down gently! :wall:

Hi sorry, but I have not received them yet and getting bit nervous! :pray: I sent chaser email just now and wait to see what has happened.

Off for PC gaming weekend with 15-20 off us playing games and chilling out away from family, makes a nice timeout from real life once or twice a year :)

Sure there is nothing to be nervous about Cno. I trust your judgement and from what you said I think should fit in well. The safety net being I can sell on for little loss if not!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Sure there is nothing to be nervous about Cno. I trust your judgement and from what you said I think should fit in well. The safety net being I can sell on for little loss if not!
Oh Gawd, that's the kiss of death! :)

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ambrose said:
Oh Gawd, that's the kiss of death! :)

Time will tell... the suspense is nearly too much I can see though. Have a :beer:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Time will tell... the suspense is nearly too much I can see though. Have a :beer:

Had :beer: :beer: :beer: and I'm worse.

Solution (bad pun!) - :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
CnoEvil said:
Ambrose said:

Had :beer: :beer: :beer: and I'm worse. Solution (bad pun!) - :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Must be bad, I don't get it LOL

The solution is the :beer: ; and :beer: is literally a solution! :twisted:

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi Ambrose, I'll do my best with this one.

I find the Linn cables just sound "right"....ie. No exaggerated treble/sibilance, no lean mids and no ott bass; just a musical sound. The Blacks give a taste of this, with the Silvers sounding similar but better in every department, including detail.

I would only get the genuine article (1.2M), that has not been messed with. It used to be possible to get them on ebay for £115-130, but I don't know the going rate atm. One possibility would be to try and get some "Blacks" for about £15-20 to give you a flavour of the sound, and sell them on if necessary. I find them a fit and forget i/c, which is quite at home in an expensive system....bear in mind that I don't like a cable to introduce any "brittleness" into the system, but produce a clean, clear and musical sound, without reducing the excitement. This is all so subjective, but I hope I've helped a little. Report back with how you get on Cno Edit. Here are some: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Silver-Interconnect-cables-1-2m-/130733171987?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1e704de513#ht_500wt_1282[/quote]

Ok, cable finally arrived Saturday and I have been pc gaming most the weekend. Tired and with a brief slot to test interconnect I did not start with old cable, just plugged in new one, which is a very tight fit I might add.

Also, new neighbours just brought new baby home so listening levels very low.

So my first impression which often stays true after longer weeks of listening are very promising.

I totally agree Cno that there is a rightness about the sound coming through my speakers, it sounds more tangible now too with a cohesiveness not there before. Detailing is good, bear in mind i am just getting used to new super dread stands so lots of change at once to take in. It doesn't sound harsh, far from it, has a element of smoothness but nice and clear.

Best of all I am enjoying music. A really important thing to me is does my foot tap and the timing / dynamics are definately there.

Alot gleend from such a short time!

Thanks Cno as I think I may have found just what I was after, a cable that has boogie, is balanced, detailed and involving.

Ambrose

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Ok, cable finally arrived Saturday and I have been pc gaming most the weekend. Tired and with a brief slot to test interconnect I did not start with old cable, just plugged in new one, which is a very tight fit I might add.

Also, new neighbours just brought new baby home so listening levels very low.

So my first impression which often stays true after longer weeks of listening are very promising.

I totally agree Cno that there is a rightness about the sound coming through my speakers, it sounds more tangible now too with a cohesiveness not there before. Detailing is good, bear in mind i am just getting used to new super dread stands so lots of change at once to take in. It doesn't sound harsh, far from it, has a element of smoothness but nice and clear.

Best of all I am enjoying music. A really important thing to me is does my foot tap and the timing / dynamics are definately there.

Alot gleend from such a short time!

Thanks Cno as I think I may have found just what I was after, a cable that has boogie, is balanced, detailed and involving.

Ambrose

Phew! :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts