cleaning the drive units on my atc 11s ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello guys , this might sound stupid but can any one who owns some atc 11s tell me how to clean the drive units on them ? i dont like the look of them with the grills on, (to ugly), when i take them off the drivers seem to atract dust, because they have got quite a sticky surface to them. does any one have any tips for me ? thanks

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Here's my advice, don't touch them! You are going to damage them if you start trying to clean them. I use to have some celestians (20 years ago) that had exactly the same sticky surface. It's horrible, but there's no way your going to get dust off those drivers. Learn to like them with the grills on...

A

Anonymous

fowler:can any one who owns some atc 11s tell me how to clean the drive units on them ?
Unfortunately there's no safe way to clean the dust off. The advice of jaxwired is sound, in that it would be best to leave them alone.

However, I bought a second-hand pair of (original) SCM-7's some years ago, these had clearly been used without the grilles in place and dust had collected onto the sticky "doped" surface of the cone and voice coil dust cap. ATC were happy to send me a pot of their doping solution (for a cost) to enable me to recoat (as thinly as possible) the drive units. They now look pristine!

Of course to avoid a similar build up of dust in future, it'd be best to leave the grilles in place and remove them only when you're listening, if you prefer the sound without the grilles on!

Regards
Lee.

A

Anonymous

thanks for your replys fellas, looks like the grills are staying on then! its a shame because they look much nicer without them.

TRENDING THREADS