cleaning partington super dreadnoughts with what?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I tried to give my silver/steel partington super dreadnoughts a clean the other day but they now look grey? :doh:

does anyone know what cleaner would be best to get them looking new again?

cheers!

A

Anonymous

yep.. i used AutoglymPaint Renovator..:wall: and then tried to buff them up with Autoglym Super Resin Polish which has resulted in them being a gun metal grey colour...

on the upside they are totally scratch free now..:grin:

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Personally I would have used Autosol.

A truly amazing metal polish but I have no idea how/if it may restore your stands, but 6 quid for a tube in Halfords.

Edit: Are they just natural silver steel or silver painted?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
yep.. i used AutoglymPaint Renovator..:wall: and then tried to buff them up with Autoglym Super Resin Polish which has resulted in them being a gun metal grey colour...

on the upside they are totally scratch free now..:grin:

If the paint Renovator is like T-Cut, it removes a layer of paint, which is OK on a car, but may have removed too much from your stands. I could be wrong (I hope I am), but you may have done irretrievable damage....give Partington a ring (if that's possible).

Your other option is to have them re-sprayed....sounds drastic, but I had a friend re-spray some old tatty Atacama stands with matt black from a tin and it worked a treat.

What ever you do, tread carefully, and at the end of the day, it might be safer to live with them.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the advise guys, i decided not to muck about with cleaning products,

i have primed them up with some black prima and then i will spray them gloss black, even with the prima on they look a hundred times better..

should of done it ages ago...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
thanks for the advise guys, i decided not to muck about with cleaning products,

i have primed them up with some black prima and then i will spray them gloss black, even with the prima on they look a hundred times better..

should of done it ages ago...

Matt Black can often look better...not that I'm telling you what to do or anything. :shifty:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd use a black satin finish, we used satin on all our stands. Gloss always looks a bit 'in your face to me'?

CJSF

A

Anonymous

your both right gloss would be a bit in your face, i will swap the cans over tomorrow for some Mat black, i like the way they look with the mat primer..cheers chaps

A

Anonymous

I decided to go for a black satin finish in the end, just to give them a little sheen..

here they are before i bodged them up trying to clean them, they were scratched and had some light chips to the paintwork.

KGrHqJHJCgE9MFGW2FBPU1mlTGC60_12.jpg

and after using a rust mat primer and 4 coats of black satin spray..

DSC01238.jpg

I am very happy with the results.

Thanks to everyone for your advise, i so much prefer them in black.

:cheers:

A

Anonymous

yes they are, i am really pleased with the way they have turned out..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts