Classical Music Speakers 200 to 400 GBP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

batonwielder:Budster:
The RS'1's are too shrill/bright in the high string instrument sections of the music I'm playing - and lacking a bit more ooomph in the bass.

I did say that the Rega's are not for classical music, didn't I? Sometimes I wonder why I bother giving advice.

I think you have to concede that personal taste will always make any advice highly subjective. Don't take it so personally.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
batonwielder:Budster:

The RS'1's are too shrill/bright in the high string instrument sections of the music I'm playing - and lacking a bit more ooomph in the bass.

I did say that the Rega's are not for classical music, didn't I? Sometimes I wonder why I bother giving advice.

I get that feeling to sometimes... Some just mention a speaker name in their post while i most of the time give some information on my experience with several components (speakers this time), how i compared them, describe the sound... When i want to know/learn something on a forum and such i have no benefit of just only reading "this speaker is great" in a post. I don't know about the Rega's but i do know about the Wharfedale's you did like more then those. I can say with certainty that the Hyperions are a step above the Wharfedale's and will also deliver a better sound with classical music.

T

the record spot

Guys, it's not a case of "my advice is more worthy than yours", it's great to have the input, but it's no different whether you read it in a mag, in an online review, word of mouth, or whatever. You're only ever going to be guided at best by an approximation of the sound and this is only as good as the descriptive abilities of the writer.

I don't listen to a whole bunch of kit - a few bits here and there. In the last three years, that's three CD players, one turntable, and a handful of amps. Were I to listen to all the stuff I wanted to hear, I'd need to be working in the industry! As a result my recommendations for potential kit is usually based on either my experience, or what I've read. Also, based on working out how we go about listening to music - what do we look for or want, what sound do we like. It's more than just "this is what you need to hear", it's the why someone needs to hear it IMO.

Plus, it's not all about a speaker being suited to classical, or rock, or whatever. My take has always been that if the kit is good enough, it will work with all kinds of music no matter the genre. It might have a different presentation, a different tone, or whatever. In the separates sector, you can tweak around with the sound by changing equipment around and it's through that you get the right balance.

So, the Rega's might well not work with the Cambridge gear, but then I'd say the Rega speaker might work better with a different partner. There are no absolutes in this hobby!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts