Claire! How about a group test of the current Cassette Decks?

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Claire!

I know its old technology but any chance of a group test of the currently available cassette decks for those of us who still would like to add a cassette deck to their hifi setup?

So far the advise I have had is to try and get a used Nakamichi so I started looking for one on the only site I know of (Ebay) where I could find one. The problem is that since they are such sought after items that there are a lot of people trying to sell their non-working or faulty Nakamichi decks and advertising them as in MINT Condition.

Hence I thought of this. So is there any chance of a group test of the currently available new decks from Onkyo, Pioneer, Teac and Sony in a forthcoming issue? Cheers.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Give the guys a chance.

You first posted on Sunday evening and then again on Monday morning.

You were probably at home on Sunday, so were they!

I know of very few cassette decks that are sold these days so the chances of a group test would be exceptionally slim.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm afraid Henley is right - there'd be very little to choose from, and incredible little call for a cassette-deck test. However, keep your eyes open for a decent Nakamichi - we've got a Dragon at home that still gets pressed into service when we're in an nostalgic, analogue-only mood, and it sounds superb!

PS This could help - UK service centre for Nakamichi. Did a great job on servicing our Dragon recently....

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Claire! I thought i'd ask just in case.

As you may be aware that the Dragon still sells for a lot of money and does not justify a more than 50% of the total value of my hifi system (Marantz CD6002 + Rotel RA-04 + B&W 685).

Indeed if Nakamichi is the way to go then I shall keep my eyes open for a decent deck but due to in-experience I am not too sure which models to look for which fall within my budget (£250) and what questions to ask the seller.

I would like to have the "Playback head azimuth adjust" feature though, since most of my tapes have been recorded on different decks. Am I correct in believing that this feature will make my tapes sound better than if I played them on any other Nakamichi which didn't have it? Any recommended Nakamichi models considering my budget?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="DNICE1"] would like to have the "Playback head azimuth adjust" feature though, since most of my tapes have been recordedÿon different decks. Am I correct in believing that this featureÿwillÿmake my tapes sound better than if I played them on any other Nakamichi which didn't haveÿit? Any recommended Nakamichi models considering my budget?[/quote]

I used to own a Nakamichi 682ZX. This is a superb machine with auto azimuth. You can also fine tune the deck to any tape stock you have. eBay is probably the best place to look. I found one in Germany:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nakamichi-682ZX-682-ZX_W0QQitemZ160184093248QQihZ006QQcategoryZ27795QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Alternatively buy a Dragon from the States and have it converted to UK voltage (older ones are switchable).

I hope this is of help.

Keep faith, when you use a Nak, cassettes sound amazing.

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks 303! Looked at the link you provided and I was stunned to see a machine which was made during 1980-81 in such an immaculate condition (at least the pictures suggested it). How could it survive in this condition for all these years is beyond me to be honest. The only reason I can think of is that it was not used at all and has always been kept inside its original packing.

Anyway, very nice to look at but the only problem is that it is on the German Ebay and so the advertisement is in German which I do not understand so I am going to ask the seller some questions in English and see if I get any response.

Many thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts