Cinema Loft Conversion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Updating my own thread here.

Plans are being drawn up and now its on to the build. I will update the thread with pictures soon. Next stop is Hifix and for David to show me the Faber range, and more! :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Here's a quote from elsewhere regarding what we spoke about on the phone:

"I demo’d the MK sound MP150/150T & S300/300T combo’s the previous day…

I’ll cut to the chase - I preferred the sound of the Q125’s."

:)

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
if anyone doubts the performance of the MK S300 they should have a listen to some driven and set up correctly. When using a good dedicated pre-pro such as what these speakers deserve then that's when they should be judged ;)

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
ideal av said:
if anyone doubts the performance of the MK S300 they should have a listen to some driven and set up correctly. When using a good dedicated pre-pro such as what these speakers deserve then that's when they should be judged ;)

Surely the MK UK distributor would have them adequately driven and setup correctly?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
From what I've read on forums, sub £2k AV receivers are usually used. I believe this is done to show that they can be used with budget amplification, and don't need expensive amplification to drive them. Although this is true of most speakers anyway, speakers at the level of KK/MK should really be used with pre/power setups in order to provide the speakers with more capable amplification, allowing them to be demonstrated at their best - when people audition products that have received a large amount of hype, they want to know exactly what they're capable of. High quality speakers using high quality drive units will respond very well to better quality amplification. As it stands, if these products can't be auditioned with suitable partnering electronics, no one knows what they're capable of, or even if they are capable for that matter. I've used my Quattros with an Anthem MRX710, and they sounded great, but not as great as when they're used with a good quality dedicated power amplifier.

It isn't out of the realms of possibility that the Quattros could well give the S300s a serious run for their money - both have their advantages and disadvantages in comparison to each other.

ideal av said:

Hi Alan

I've seen variations over the years as to when speakers are driven properly :? Only when it suits though :grin:

So relax
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have heard the speakers being driven by both methods and it sounded pretty good. But, I have to agree here, amplification does indeed improve the setup and drive them optimally. I preferred the sound with an Amp involved, although this is not to suggest they sounded awful without and I understand the point being proven by not having an AMP.

Normal issue existed for me during these demos - Different rooms, different acoustics and different equipment. It’s hard to pin what exactly made one better than the other. However, one thing was clear, The AV/AMP combo produced a far more punchy sound and drove the S300 better for me. I even noticed that less volume was required to achieve the same level when drive without the amp. Naturally I have to accept here that the room does play a role in the way speakers perform, reflections etc.

I would agree, a decent Amp and AV unit will do wonders for any speaker and something like the S300 at their price point would be doing them an injustice.

For anyone reading this now or in the future, buy a damn AMP! :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I said earlier, my Quattros sounded great with the Anthem MRX710, but my Rotel RMB1575 definitely drive them more effortlessly (although the Rotel's output is almost three times that of the Anthem on paper). Having said that, it's not a power thing - I know the Primare A30.7 sounds better with my speakers, and improves in certain areas including dynamics, but its output sits between the Anthem and the Rotel.

Again, the speakers need to be good enough in various areas to be able to appreciate these differences.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
well i`ve had the pleasure of visiting this installation today and its coming on a treat and has the makings to be a fabulous home cinema room

some photo`s i`d have thought will wet some of you who are interested`s appetites

i`d daren`t post mine...... yet ;)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Allan I look forward to having the system installed!

I will be getting some photo's up tonight, I have the various stages so far ;)

Hopefully it can help people trying to build thier own room. Its taken a lot of research to get to this point.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Allan

i don't want to hijack the thread.

Im at pp stage for an extension. The HC room is to be around 16x12.

It's mainly PJ & screens I'm struggling with. Throw rates, screen size etc etc.

ps. It's a HC room, so I'm thinking a fixed screen.

I do have my own thread but I'm not really at the tech stage yet.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not at all, thats why I have this thread.

For a fixed screen have a look at the Seymour range. Allan has this in his show room (since you are dealing with Allan). The advantage is that they can make the frame to any size you want. As for performance, it's a brilliant screen and you are not going wrong with it! I wouldnt be buying one if I was not convinced of this :)

Projector throw distance is variable between brands, but have a look at this site to give you an idea.... do not worry about your room as you have plenty of space.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Looking forward to the photos.

tbh my heads spinning about what to do with mine. It's all quite confusing.

Dont be, I have done the leg work, just ask me whatever you like and I will have the answer :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Here are the recent photos

You can see the outside of the house.

13900654177_e7a27d7626.jpg

Next

Looking from the outside in - Slope side of roof

13900666668_76a4d96078.jpg

Then

Inside the loft itself with the joists going in, between the joists will be rockwool for soundproofing then double plasterboard ontop. For more details on the exact materials and method - Please ask :)

14087208115_710aced4fb.jpg

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Wow. That's some project.

My HC Room won't be completely no compromise, it's part of a bigger extension to include an en suite wet room.

Fingers crossed PP will go through, but we've done it in a way that shouldn't offend enyone.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can you partition the HC off? It will do wonders to the sound if you can soundproof your room and isolate it from potential weak spots. Like rooms adjacent, wet rooms etc. Preventing leakage of sound and especially Bass is key to a good build. However it must be stressed that while this is Ideal it does mean you wont achieve a decent HC room without it.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes

when I say en suite, the WR will be a completely separate room and it's doorway will not open into the HC room. Will be taking care with sound proofing the architect / designer has done similar. So should be ok.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts