Chromecast built-in

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Currently using Chromecast Audio, toslink to DAC, with:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N1X28F1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because of dropouts. Replacing the wifi with wired ethernet, back to router, resolved dropouts.

Now buying Onkyo TX8270 with built-in CCA. However new hifi position is more difficult to get ethernet to; wifi no better there either; in fact slightly worse.

Has anyone experience of wifi or ethernet CCA in this receiver?

Asking here because one of the few reviews of this receiver was What-HiFi, but no review of its CCA.

athegn1 said:
Currently using Chromecast Audio, toslink to DAC, with:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N1X28F1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03...

because of dropouts. Replacing the wifi with wired ethernet, back to router, resolved dropouts.

Now buying Onkyo TX8270 with built-in CCA. However new hifi position is more difficult to get ethernet to; wifi no better there either; in fact slightly worse.

Has anyone experience of wifi or ethernet CCA in this receiver?

Asking here because one of the few reviews of this receiver was What-HiFi, but no review of its CCA.

You could try the Homplug wired Ethernet over the mains but these units can work out expensive.. Move router or get a longer length of Ethernet cable? Possibly use a plus in WiFi extender?

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Tried homeplug; throttled ethernet by large amount.

Probably going down longer ethernet cable via another path; this will mean more holes in walls. Someone will be complaining!

insider9

I just got a Devolo too. It replaced my TP Link. Devolo only seems to do 20Mbps but not an issue for streaming Tidal via Upnp or stable Roon connection or both at the same time. All nippy, no drop outs or lag.

TpLink would go much closer to my broadband limit of 100Mbps and could almost saturate it but it was one port only and Devolo is 2. At £25 it's great value for money.

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
All I can say is that I used a BT homeplug and droputs continued; ethernet resolved that. The nearest I can get my dual band WAP is over 20 feet and in the next room from the CCA; dropouts were a problem when that was the CCAs wifi.

I am now thinking that I may be able to reroute the ethernet, without drilling more holes, which may be possible.

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
These do work, for when you can't get a cable easily through. They can be pricy, but the price goes up with the speed. For what you're doing, you don't need a super fast one. I find they run quite hot and are prone to failure, needing to be replaced from time to time. I used to use a long optical cable, which worked OK over distance.

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
athegn1 said:
All I can say is that I used a BT homeplug and droputs continued; ethernet resolved that. The nearest I can get my dual band WAP is over 20 feet and in the next room from the CCA; dropouts were a problem when that was the CCAs wifi.

I am now thinking that I may be able to reroute the ethernet, without drilling more holes, which may be possible. 
Apologies. Just seen that you went wired in the end. Never a bad way to go imo. WiFi has improved, but it's always been about convenience, rather than stability.

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Yes prefer wired if possible.

Just been crawling in loft and can see a way to get ethernet to new position, albeit with longer Cat 5; however don't expect that to make much/any difference. Someone will not now be nagging!

So ethernet to TX8270.

Then to sort out phone connection to receiver. Currently use my Galaxy S5 as main source. Google Home app casting to CCA via WAP/ethernet then into DAC. So any S5's sound sources ones and zeros sent to DAC. (Phone is and will remain a lot nearer 5G WAP than receiver position)

Sources

Poweramp playing, mainly, FLAC (with my old ears FLAC well over doing it, but just used that from when I almost started ripping my CDs so continue; large micro SD to rescue)

BBC iPlayer Radio

Spotify Premium

Several Jazz internet radio stations.

Hopefully Onkyo app works well; won't have to leave my chair to adjust receiver settings.

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
athegn1 said:
Yes prefer wired if possible.

Just been crawling in loft and can see a way to get ethernet to new position, albeit with longer Cat 5; however don't expect that to make much/any difference. Someone will not now be nagging!

So ethernet to TX8270.

Then to sort out phone connection to receiver. Currently use my Galaxy S5 as main source. Google Home app casting to CCA via WAP/ethernet then into DAC. So any S5's sound sources ones and zeros sent to DAC. (Phone is and will remain a lot nearer 5G WAP than receiver position)

Sources

Poweramp playing, mainly, FLAC (with my old ears FLAC well over doing it, but just used that from when I almost started ripping my CDs so continue; large micro SD to rescue)

BBC iPlayer Radio

Spotify Premium

Several Jazz internet radio stations.

Hopefully Onkyo app works well; won't have to leave my chair to adjust receiver settings.
I'm not satisfied with the sound, when plugging my Pixel into my DAC via USB. There's nothing I can put my finger on, no drops or anything. It's just not right. The PC sounds great through the DAC on USB, as does my CD player on optical.

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Sorry I cannot help you with that problem; maybe someone with more expertise can?

I understand that if I send, say a FLAC, from my S5 to the CCA all the digits get to the DAC just as if I sent the WAV from a CD transport. If that is so it is a good as I can hear.

I do not do much comparing. I just enjoy the music accepting that I cannot reproduce exactly what I hear in the concert hall.

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
athegn1 said:
Sorry I cannot help you with that problem; maybe someone with more expertise can?

I understand that if I send, say a FLAC, from my S5 to the CCA all the digits get to the DAC just as if I sent the WAV from a CD transport. If that is so it is a good as I can hear.

I do not do much comparing. I just enjoy the music accepting that I cannot reproduce exactly what I hear in the concert hall. 
It's not really an issue for me tbh. I tend to either use the PC for mp3 and flac, like a jukebox, or play CDs or records. I don't think it's a fault per se.

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Took the advice and bought a dLAN 500 starter kit from Maplin today.

Unplugged my BT homehub and put the Devolo in its place.

I am running the ethernet connection from an eight port gigabit unmanaged switch; fed from a Virgin S3 router.

Devolo wont work because it does not see to connect to the internet. I have used both the Devolo supplied ethernet cable and the old one used with the BT homehub and in different ports on the ethernet switch. The difference seems to be that the BT homehub lights up both LEDs on the port on the switch, whereas the Devolo on lights up the left hand LED.

What am I doing wrong?

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Left all connected overnight. This morning the Devolo is working i.e. connecting to internet; sending this reply using it.

Sometime overnight it connected; was on for over a hour before I went to bed with it not working i.e. not showing up on my wifi lists on either phone or tablet.

However right LED on switch still off?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts