Chord USB SilverPlus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Not read the thread because I already know what will be in it - mostly naysayers

Who is the naysayer? The ones who refuse to believe the massive stack of evidence in front of them about data transferrence and how usb cables work, or the ones who take that onboard?

ellisdj said:
this one works best with JPlay Software

is that the very same software that called out as a scam here? (thanks to vlad for linking to this originally) http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?s=499179c16348e48e0674bf6596f4c1c6&showtopic=92856

excuse me if I don't take your word for it, but I do seem to remember you thinking that everytime some data passes through a sata cable it chages it, even after you had it explained to you that the internet would break if such a thing was so.

iMark

Do you really believe the BS on the JPlay website?

Here's a quote: "Our extensive tests showed that using audio grade SATA cable is as important for sound quality in a computer audio system as using high quality USB cable with a USB DAC or USB-S/PDIF converter. "
I wonder what these tests were about. Obviously not about transfering data from A to B. The drivel almost makes you think that the people behind JPlay are certifiable. (I am not saying anything about the gullible folks that think there's any truth in the statements.)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Same old stuff same old people as I said.

believe what you want - there is a lot to getting the best sound from your PC you wouldn't have that either, but it's all important. Those are very good products I have linked to

Jplay is slagged off a lot but to me it was the difference that got me into pc audio - I wouldn't dream of not using it and heavily recommend IT and the forum full of helpful people

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
iMark said:
Do you really believe the BS on the JPlay website?

Here's a quote: "Our extensive tests showed that using audio grade SATA cable is as important for sound quality in a computer audio system as using high quality USB cable with a USB DAC or USB-S/PDIF converter. "

I wonder what these tests were about. Obviously not about transfering data from A to B. The drivel almost makes you think that the people behind JPlay are certifiable. (I am not saying anything about the gullible folks that think there's any truth in the statements.)

That quote is true though. As important, ie not important at all.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Not read the thread because I already know what will be in it - mostly naysayers

These are 2 places to get a USB Cable that will smash most it not all others.

This one is the first

This one is the second - this one works best with JPlay Software

From the first link:

'These cables have used multi-core silver plated copper alloy conductors

And in teflon-coated.
Copper alloy in teflon-coated could provide very high strength,
Anti-oxidation,Anti-twisting.
So these cables will provide a stable sound quality in almost life time.
Thicken silver plated is from 10um to 20um
Silver material is from 15% up to 30% to whole conductor.
So these cable's silver material is 3 to 6 times to common audio grade cable's 5% silver.
Thease USB cables is standard 90ohm '

Say what? And does this mean the manufacturer process is so poor their wires have anything between 15 and 30% silver content in?

A

Anderson

Can someone explain how a fancy USB cable can improve on the transmission protocol used to pass the digital signal? Serious question.

songox

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I had an experiance with my furutech usb cable and meridian explorer dac once and placebo effect had nothing to do with what i heard or i thought i heard... Long story short i always listen to this setup when im in bed before sleep but this one evening my furutech cable was left downstairs for some reason so i said ill plug in the usb cable that came with meridian dac! It took about 5 seconds for me to realise that it sounded quite different from what it sounded the day before, i skipped a few tracks and they all sounded sharp, dull and weightless and then it clicked with me that the only thing i changed was the usb cable! I changed it back and guess what... It all sounded perfect again.

A

Anderson

I suppose your wife, unprompted of course also commented on the difference?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Same stupid responses trying to promote you to say something they can slate you for.

idiots - why do they bother.

this thread should be people posting to help others I.e try these cables see what you think. But instead they are plagued by naysayers who ruin it.

you say you heard a difference and then all manner of stuff is said about you and the fact it's not possible such as the daft wife comment. **** comment in all honesty

i have heard huge differences in the computer digital transport audio world because I have tried them. Once I experienced a change in one area I tried another and experienced change there also.

jplay can be tried for free with help to set it up to get the most from it.

a lot of people have done this and now swear by it - these include clever people, far more clever than me

A

Anderson

Please enlighten us as to how your sound is improved by use of a digital cable? Is the signal being changed and if so then how?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

2697f.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Anderson said:
Please enlighten us as to how your sound is improved by use of a digital cable? Is the signal being changed and if so then how?

|ts the same with an analogue cable - its difficult to prove they technically can make a difference - althought there is some proof.

There are a lot of people including the guy above who said he heard a difference between a digital cable. I am one of them.

I am not an idiot and treaded very cautiously at the start - however the PC can be an amazing source with effort put into the right areas. Paul Pang was scrutinised and laughed at for initially suggesting upgraded sata cables for example but lots of people have tried them and lots of people now happily buy them and pay a lot of money for them

I was trying to say these are very intelligent people, some who work in IT and other technical jobs, I am not in a position to technically debate their merits with you. There are several theories of why they work - mostly suggested around screening to prevent emi and rfi which inside a PC is ripe, noone knows but they trust what they hear.

I received this from Core Audio Technology as I am a cusotmer - this is a short 2 part article on the subject
What you don't know about digital audio: Part Zero
Digital audio is not just ones and zeros.

Digital audio is commonly misinterpreted as ones and zeros. And people assume that because it's just ones and zeros that there is no noise or distortion on digital signals. They then extrapolate this to their computers assuming that because a computer is digital that there is no distortion.

These ideas are false. Here's why:

The truth is that digital audio is a SQUARE WAVE, which is technically a high frequency analog wave form. There's nothing digital about it. This square wave represents logic signals high and low. We have mistakenly translated the high and low of a square wave to a one or a zero, but in reality it is far more complex.

A logic high signal, or a one, represents a change to the square wave. A logic low represents no change. This is where the idea of jitter comes into play. When there are timing errors in the digital signal the digital interface will get a bit read error and read a logic high as a logic low. That means where there should have been a change to the square wave it was registered as no change. This translates to amplitude errors and harmonic errors in the output.

Why do these errors occur?

The primary reason these errors occur is noise. High frequency noise and harmonic content gets folded into the base band and creates amplitude distortion on the square wave. The tolerances on the square wave are very small, so when there is noise it turns an otherwise flat square into a jagged one. These spikes create two major problems. One, it introduces odd harmonic content that doesn't exist in real life that gets carried through to the output. And two, jitter and bit-read errors occur because the spike causes the square wave to be read within the wrong range.

How to prevent these errors?
Check back tomorrow for the next part in the series and learn how to eliminate these errors from your digital system, what to look for in des

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What do most audiophiles not know about digital audio? Part Two.
Yesterday we discussed how digital audio is really just an analog waveform that is very sensitive to noise-induced distortion.

Today let's dive right into what elements play a role in this distortion and how to eliminate it completely.

There are many sources of noise in digital audio. For the purposes of this article let's assume you're using a computer-based source such as a NAS, Mac Mini or PC-based music server.

We mentioned yesterday that even in a computer those so-called ones and zeros are really a square wave that's highly sensitive to noise. This square wave gets copied and duplicated thousands of times as it makes its way through operating system processes and hardware. Read more on this process in this Article.

Each time a copy of this square wave is made, power from the power supply is used to "regenerate" it. That means any noise or instability in the power supply up into the ghz range creates amplitude distortion on our sensitive square wave. That noise merges with the resulting square wave and becomes your audio signal. If you put that into perspective, if your square wave is duplicated 1000 times with a noisy power supply and each time more and more harmonic content is introduced the less and less you will hear your music.

So first and foremost, quality DC power is key. For a PC, however, quality power is a bit more complex. Because the computer is running at such high frequencies it is putting very fast transient demands on the power supply. So the most critical element is a stable output voltage so that the .8V rails going to the CPU are as stable as possible. This requires a power supply that is ultra fast and ultra stable to constantly changing load conditions at currents as high as 50A or more. Noise plays a very small role in stability at currents as high as these and transient response and output impedance become far more critical.

Transmitting the signal
Just because your USB input is asynchronous doesn't mean it's not sensitive to noise. The power along the USB cable and the circuit used to generate the clock signal on the receiving end is mission critical and often can do more harm than good. Alternatively look at moving into a Dante or Ravenna ethernet interface. This technology makes cabling irrelevant, monitors clock signals in real time, and offers multichannel versatility at extremely low distortion for active crossovers and other applications. It's the future, and no USB interface can compete.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Anderson said:
Why are you spamming text from a online shop?

We've no idea who he is - could easily be part of the scam and trying to con the gullible into parting with their hard earned dosh.

I wonder how he would explain the transmission of an audio data signal through fibre optic?

Mind you, some people believe in fairies, unicorns and dragons so anything is posssible.

A

Anderson

pauln said:
Anderson said:
Why are you spamming text from a online shop?

We've no idea who he is - could easily be part of the scam and trying to con the gullible into parting with their hard earned dosh.

I wonder how he would explain the transmission of an audio data signal through fibre optic?

Mind you, some people believe in fairies, unicorns and dragons so anything is posssible.

He'll have to find a foo selling shop that has an article about it first.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Same old , same old again - looking for ways to shoot the person down, even shooting me down for putting a bit of explanation from a company who is making an effort - yes to sell their products but who does not do that?

There should be threads where people laugh at the idiots who buy expensive cables analogue and digital - so you cna all be sarcastic with each other

Then threads where people share positive experience and those who think their idoits stay out of it - so people can learn from each other

Otherwise it is spam from the people like you actually - re read the post you writen - sarcastic comment after ridicule after bore bore bore - honestly, think what its like to read it.

It would be so much more productive if people said - I dont believe in cables end of - rather than keep going on looking for ways to try and shoot things down / shoot down people say / share, trying to win the arguement - for what purpose.

If someone wants to spend their money on digital cables as they hear a difference your words on here mean nothing, and they actually just think it sounds like sour grapes.

It actually puts people off using the forum - not buying cables - that is not productive for the industry I am sure you like.

I dont work in the industry and have no links to anyone - look how mixed my sig is - I just buy whats good simple as.

Its just so annoying when you try and share comments to help people and there those waiting in the wings to use the same tripe they have read other saying before to shoot them down.

Its really boring.

If your bored in reading a thread aimed at a positive result - why read it - why the need to bark in with your negativity - its not a do or dont they work thread.

I honestly think its ridiculous now

Also there are fibre optic solution - Adnanco SB3 uses fibre optic link and its supposed to be an excellent solution.

They are also the company that designed and made the JCat USB Card which is significantly better - see not they are not idiots behind it

iMark

What a load of tosh. There is no way that a cable can do anything rather than transport bits from A to B using the USB protocol.

It's as silly as claiming that digital coax cables or toslink cables make a difference. A cable without production errors will just transport 0's and 1's. The worst a cable can do is give no connection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts