Chord epic!! How much......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
maxflinn said:
they both use siver plated, oxygen free copper, so steptoe would offer you the same for both, cos he's clever and doesn't believe in magic

He wouldn't be that clever, as Carnival Silver Screen is a purely copper cable, no silver.
that it is, my mistake.

still, whatever miniscule amount of silver is also in the epic would cost little more, and imo make no difference to the sound, so.....

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
maxflinn said:
they both use siver plated, oxygen free copper, so steptoe would offer you the same for both, cos he's clever and doesn't believe in magic

He wouldn't be that clever, as Carnival Silver Screen is a purely copper cable, no silver.

Jinx! For once we agree David
smiley-wink.gif

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
sta99y said:
Holy balony.... I just thought it was expensive!! Does anyone know which cable would match my system?? Cheers

Hi sta99y

What speaker cables are you currently using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rik,

Tbh I got it from RS and I paid £1.99m, it's copper with a see thru outer covering.
Reading all the debates should I replace with a silver core wire than copper??
I really don't want to get into mind boggling debates, just plain honest answers are great.

Darrell

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
maxflinn said:

that it is, my mistake.

still, whatever miniscule amount of silver is also in the epic would cost little more, and imo make no difference to the sound, so.....

Have you heard Epic?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Once again, in these pointless arguments, there are industries where the profit margins are much, much higher than any product in the hi-fi industry, and it's products that people use regularly, and quite happily. Furniture, jewellery, clothing etc. It makes me laugh when people criticise profit margins when they're wearing a £50 t-shirt.
Remember, we are talking about increased performance not a luxury statement.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
maxflinn said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
maxflinn said:

that it is, my mistake.

Have you heard Epic?
can't say i have, ok people that have heard it may say that it sounds good, better than other cables etc, but the one question that nobody ever answers is how? why would it?

it's easy to trust ones hearing,opinion etc and declare cable a sounds better than b, but abx tests never prove such, in fact they never prove differences at all, so while i've never heard epic i have a strong opinion on it's and all speaker cables merits.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:
but abx tests never prove such, in fact they never prove differences at all, so while i've never heard epic i have a strong opinion on it's and all speaker cables merits.

How many ABX tests have you done, max? Or is this another Pavlovian post?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Never Max? So if you took part in an ABX test involving cables, and you heard a clear difference in the cables used, would you then reverse your beliefs and recommend quality cables to people? Or would you refuse to believe it because someone on the internet says there's no difference?

A

Anonymous

i just don't believe they differ, i've tried a few and they all sounded the same to me.

i've never partook in an abx test, but i've never heard of one that was conducted where the participants could tell the difference between cables.

and again, why would they sound different? how?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:
i've never partook in an abx test, but i've never heard of one that was conducted where the participants could tell the difference between cables.

Ah, a Pavlovian post then. Thanks for clarifying.
no biggie andrew, i have my views, and lots of info to go on, and nobody can explain how, why cables could sound different..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:
Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:

Ah, a Pavlovian post then. Thanks for clarifying.
no biggie andrew, i have my views, and lots of info to go on, and nobody can explain how, why cables could sound different..

Why not give John Carrick (Atlas Cables) or George Cardas (Cardas Cables) a ring....and stop winding up the good folk on here for a while.....fun though it may be. ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
When applying this '10% rule' re speaker cable, what length of cable - ie distance from speaker to amp - is the yardstick?

And does the 10% cover one length of cable or two (or four)?

Ta :)

The money spent on your cables, whatever the mix, should be about 10%. eg. That may mean using less expensive cables over long runs or if bi-amping....or something like that. :~

sta99y said:
MUSICRAFT said:
sta99y said:
Holy balony.... I just thought it was expensive!! Does anyone know which cable would match my system?? Cheers

Hi sta99y

What speaker cables are you currently using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rik, Tbh I got it from RS and I paid £1.99m, it's copper with a see thru outer covering. Reading all the debates should I replace with a silver core wire than copper?? I really don't want to get into mind boggling debates, just plain honest answers are great. Darrell

Hi Darrell

Thanks for your reply.

I don't feel you really need to alter your cables. Fwiw, i use as combination of basic 79 and 500 strand OFC speaker cables and one of the systems i am currently using these cables with is a Monitor Audio platinum PL200AV and Onkyo PR-SC5508/Plinius Odean.

Btw, i'll recommend using speaker cables which have just good old copper.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
6th.replicant said:
When applying this '10% rule' re speaker cable, what length of cable - ie distance from speaker to amp - is the yardstick?

And does the 10% cover one length of cable or two (or four)?

Ta :)

The money spent on your cables, whatever the mix, should be about 10%. eg. That may mean using less expensive cables over long runs or if bi-amping....or something like that. :~

Indeed, the '10% rule' seems a tad confusing - and arbitrary, IMHO
smiley-undecided.gif

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who even considers paying that amount for what is essentially a couple of lengths of wire, has lost all touch with reality.

As a previous poster has said good old fashioned copper preferably a minimumum of 72 strand will do nicely.

I'm suprised nobody has brought up the subject of "burn in time"
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts