Chord epic!! How much......

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi ppl,

Im looking to upgrade my speaker cable after reading info it can really improve the sound. On the bay I have been browsing Chord products, can we really justify £859 for 2x6metre lengths? This IMO is robbery.

What's your opinion??

A

Anonymous

Depends on:

1) How much your hardware cost
2) How much money you have in the bank

If you have a lot of money, you might not mind being robbed of £859

iceman16

sta99y said:
Hi ppl,

Im looking to upgrade my speaker cable after reading info it can really improve the sound. On the bay I have been browsing Chord products, can we really justify £859 for 2x6metre lengths? This IMO is robbery.

What's your opinion??
IMO Chord company is one of the best cable manufacturer on the market.If you are into upgrade consider system matching before you buy cables.I used to own chord odyssey for my naim set up but I found them a bit bright for naims but with lots of detail.I've change from odyssey to epic and it all went to the right direction.Epic are warm sounding compare to the odyssey with more bass extension and sweet treble without being bright or harsh.The only downside is that Epic are very thick in diameter and quite stiff.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
sta99y said:
Hi ppl, Im looking to upgrade my speaker cable after reading info it can really improve the sound. On the bay I have been browsing Chord products, can we really justify £859 for 2x6metre lengths? This IMO is robbery. What's your opinion??

If you have a system that cost many thousands of pounds to build then the cost of the epic cable could be justified through the 10% rule (cable budget 10% of total cost) but if your system cost substantially less than that then the cost of the cable can't be justified. Just stick to the 10% rule and get cables that match your total spend.

I do think that for just 2 lengths that is alot of money but i have no doubts it could be justified in the right system and hey if you won the lottery you would think very differently eh!
smiley-laughing.gif

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with what ppl are saying but reading nearly all threads in Home cinema section 90% of us don't have the £16000 Anthem amp etc.... To match with Epic cable. But as I've said I do understand cables are important and can be costly, (robbery lol) Which cables in the chord range would suit and justify the outlay in my system below in my sig??

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chord prices have to be high to cover the massive dealer markup. i found out the other day what the markup is - nice work if you can get it...
smiley-surprised.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Craig M. said:
chord prices have to be high to cover the massive dealer markup. i found out the other day what the markup is - nice work if you can get it...
smiley-surprised.gif

Although to be fair I gather retailer margins on most accessories of this kind tend to be fairly substantial. Is that the fault of the manufacturer, or the retailers?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
sta99y said:
Hi ppl, Im looking to upgrade my speaker cable after reading info it can really improve the sound. On the bay I have been browsing Chord products, can we really justify £859 for 2x6metre lengths? This IMO is robbery. What's your opinion??

If you have a system that cost many thousands of pounds to build then the cost of the epic cable could be justified through the 10% rule (cable budget 10% of total cost) but if your system cost substantially less than that then the cost of the cable can't be justified. Just stick to the 10% rule and get cables that match your total spend.

I do think that for just 2 lengths that is alot of money but i have no doubts it could be justified in the right system and hey if you won the lottery you would think very differently eh!
smiley-laughing.gif
If I won the lottery, I would hope I did not lose my value system. £100 is plenty for that amount of cable, the rest can go to charity.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Craig M. said:
smiley-surprised.gif

Although to be fair I gather retailer margins on most accessories of this kind tend to be fairly substantial. Is that the fault of the manufacturer, or the retailers?

given the lack of variation between retailers advertised prices, i'd have to guess that chord set the price.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Craig M. said:
given the lack of variation between retailers advertised prices, i'd have to guess that chord set the price.

And those poor helpless retailers are forced to go along with what you guess to be the case? Is there no end to the suffering they must endure?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
smiley-surprised.gif

So you're condemning Chord's trade prices (if in fact you do know them), and not other cable manufacturers? Or is that purely because you don't know what other manufacturer's trade prices are? QED? Van Den Hul? Ixos? Even cheap generic cable?

Once again, in these pointless arguments, there are industries where the profit margins are much, much higher than any product in the hi-fi industry, and it's products that people use regularly, and quite happily. Furniture, jewellery, clothing etc. It makes me laugh when people criticise profit margins when they're wearing a £50 t-shirt.

ANY industry that doesn't make enough money suffers and disppears. No one out there is thriving and living in a lap of luxury except the companies you use every day, like BT and Sky etc. Their services cost peanuts, yet everyone is happy to pay them large sums of monthly money, regardless of how much they complain.

Rant mode disengaged.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
this thread is about chord, david and i posted in direct response to the op - if i wanted to condemn chord i could've posted weeks ago and made a huge song and dance about it. i didn't ask about other brands but assume they are comparable.

and what is "(if in fact you do know them)" supposed to mean? would you prefer i'd posted the actual amount?

i used to work in retail, i know how high gross profit can be. i think the t-shirt i'm wearing cost about 70 quid, it can't have cost more then about a fiver to make.

rant mode primed and ready for deployment.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Craig M. said:

And those poor helpless retailers are forced to go along with what you guess to be the case? Is there no end to the suffering they must endure?

you wouldn't have to force me to go along with that sort of margin.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Firstly it is far from robbery !

Chord are not forcing anyone to actually part with their hard earned cash if they don't want to.

They make the products they sell they can charge what they like i'm sure they understand the structure of their business.

They also offer a wide selection of product to suit different budgets.

Now start with Chord Carnival silver screen and take it from there.

A lot of people will tell you there is no difference between this and the epic anyway
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

take one length of chord epic

one length of chord carnival silverscreen

one stanley knife (only if your over 18, they're dangerous)

cut open both lengths of cables

remove the metal wire

take them to the scrapman

ask him if you had a tonne of each, how much he would give you for either

the amounts offered will be the same

so why is the chord epic so much more expensive?

kinda self explanatory really.......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:

remove the metal wire

Take one Max

Give one large Wooden Spoon

Allow time to stir vigorously

Take him to the nearest forum

Watch for the resulting fallout. ;)

Kinda predictable. :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn said:

remove the metal wire

Not the greatest anti-cable argument ever
smiley-wink.gif
You've often argued all cables are the same, but obviously copper and silver would command different prices at your scrap metal merchant. In other markets, you'd get different prices for different purities of the same metals. Also, you would expect to pay more for a 1/8oz gold sovereign than for a plain 1/8oz of gold.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, just think there may be better arguments
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
maxflinn said:

remove the metal wire

Take one Max Give one large Wooden Spoon Allow time to stir vigorously Take him to the nearest forum Watch for the resulting fallout. ;)

Kinda predictable. :)
:)

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
maxflinn said:

remove the metal wire

Not the greatest anti-cable argument ever
smiley-wink.gif
You've often argued all cables are the same, but obviously copper and silver would command different prices at your scrap metal merchant. In other markets, you'd get different prices for different purities of the same metals. Also, you would expect to pay more for a 1/8oz gold sovereign than for a plain 1/8oz of gold.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, just think there may be better arguments
smiley-smile.gif
they both use siver plated, oxygen free copper, so steptoe would offer you the same for both, cos he's clever and doesn't believe in magic :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts