Chord Carnival Silverscreen

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello :)

I'm planning to buy a brand-new system: Primare cdi10 cd-receiver & Tannoy Revolution DC6T speakers. To connect them, the new Chord silverscreen seems to be a great option (or maybe the QED anniversary XT?) but, according to the Chord website - since that cable is a single wire and the speakers are bi-wirable - I should also get a pair of Chord Signature bi-wire links. Is this really an improvement??

Thanks in advance,

ZP

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ZePedro"]
Hello :)

I'm planning to buy a brand-new system: Primare cdi10 cd-receiver & Tannoy Revolution DC6T speakers. To connect them, the new Chord silverscreen seems to be a great option (or maybe the QED anniversary XT?) but, according to the Chord website - since that cable is a single wire and the speakers are bi-wirable - I should also get a pair of Chord
Signature bi-wire links.
Is this really an improvement??

Thanks in advance,

ZP

[/quote]

No.
Just use the links you get with the speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="Masterbluster"]No.

Just use the links you get with the speakers.[/quote]

Bet no-one saw that response coming...

[/quote]

What would your response be?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"]What would your response be?[/quote]

That he should borrow a set of the links from a dealer, try them, and - if he can hear a difference, feels it's for the better and thinks it's worth the extra expenditure - buy them.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="Masterbluster"]What would your response be?[/quote]

That he should borrow a set of the links from a dealer, try them, and - if he can hear a difference, feels it's for the better and thinks it's worth the extra expenditure - buy them.

[/quote]

Really? Are you not a technically minded chap?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Why are you SO afraid of people trying kit? Surely that's the whole point- if you hear a difference, great. If you don't, don't buy it![/quote]

Ah Clare. Good evening to you.

Stuff like these rather silly jumper things give hi-fi enthusiasts a bad name in electronics circles and.I see no reason to waste valuable time on them, that's all.

All IMHO.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
But if you re-read the OP again, the word 'links' is disingenous - we're talking about bi-wiring here, which is a Marmite option. It's at least worth a try (at no outlay) as some people prefer it....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]But if you re-read the OP again, the word 'links' is disingenous - we're talking about bi-wiring here, which is a Marmite option. It's at least worth a try (at no outlay) as some people prefer it....[/quote]

I agree. I was talking only about the links.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Why are you SO afraid of people trying kit? Surely that's the whole point- if you hear a difference, great. If you don't, don't buy it![/quote]

I think he feels people can't be trusted to make their own mind up - they need protecting from themselves, poor little souls...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

I think he feels people can't be trusted to make their own mind up - they need protecting from themselves, poor little souls...

[/quote]

Are you saying that consumer protection isn't important?

I just think one should concentrate on the stuff that's important and can actually have an effect on the sound, not waste time on foolishness like these wire jumpers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"]Are you saying that consumer protection isn't important?[/quote]

Of course he's not, hence why he advised to borrow a set and only purchase if he thought (a) it made a beneficial difference to the sound and (b) he was happy paying whatever it cost.

Believe it or not, some people like to spend their time tinkering and finding little ways to improve sound. When it works, it gives a sense of self-satisfaction. If the OP isn't that bothered, I doubt he'll spend the time the time doing it (like you clearly).

Oh, and personally, I couldn't really care less what those in "electronics circles" think of me. If we all spent the time concentrating on stuff that's important, then, in the general scope of things in the world, I don't think any activity within hi-fi can really justify a spot!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]Believe it or not, some people like to spend their time tinkering and finding little ways to improve sound.[/quote]

I do too. I'm just pointing out that these jumpers won't do anything, if that's OK with you.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Masterbluster. The OP arrived at this forum to gather advice, information etc. If he wasn't interested in tinkering with his system, I doubt he would have bothered. If someone hadn't tinkered one day, we would not know that rosemary complimented lamb, salt helped out potatoes and chilli was nice with everything! Where is the science in any of this? Just as we had before with Oldphrt and his many pseudonyms (unless you are another), I really don't know why you frequent this site. It is like me being a Liverpool fan going on a St Helens forum and telling the other members (constantly) that the ball should be spherical!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]The OP arrived at this forum to gather advice, information etc. If he wasn't interested in tinkering with his system, I doubt he would have bothered.[/quote]

He asked a question, "Is it really an improvement?" and I answered it in the negative.Of course you may disagree but I don't understand why you are getting all uppity about it.

Take a chill pill.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"]I do too. I'm just pointing out that these jumpers won't do anything, if that's OK with you.
[/quote]
Fine with me, I was responding to your ridiculous suggestion that we don't care about consumer protection by suggesting people try things for themselves. I believe true science is actually forwarded by people doing this very thing, rather than just accepting someone else's findings at face value and not bothering to check them for themselves...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="Masterbluster"]I do too. I'm just pointing out that these jumpers won't do anything, if that's OK with you.
[/quote]
Fine with me, I was responding to your ridiculous suggestion that we don't care about consumer protection by suggesting people try things for themselves. [/quote]

If you buy something that doesn't do what it says on the tin it's a consumer protection issue.

[quote user="professorhat"]I believe true science is actually forwarded by people doing this very thing, rather than just accepting someone else's findings at face value and not bothering to check them for themselves..[/quote]

That's true about experimenting in general, but not true about these jumper things.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Masterbluster. The OP arrived at this forum to gather advice, information etc. If he wasn't interested in tinkering with his system, I doubt he would have bothered.[/quote]

Was he really interested in 'tinkering' with his system or had he fallen fowl to another marketing gimmick and simply wanted to know whether it was advisable to follow Chord's recommendation? I think that masterbluster is completely entitled to his opinion especially if its something he has tried. That said, Andrews suggestion of trying it for free is a good one too although he may have to travel a little to find a high street store with a set of those jumpers available for demo??

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I think that anyone that tries new ideas or kit without listening to them first must be aware that caveat emptor rules. If you really cannot find a whole slew of opinion on here or elsewhere on the internet i would be surprised and maybe more caution should be used in that case. As stated before by cleverer people than me, Hi fi is subjective, one man (or womans) meat is anothers poison.ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts