Choice to make. Help please!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As some of you may know I am due to get a replacement Panasonic 32LXD700 due to a backlight problem. I was due to get this next week but now Steve, at Panasonic, has asked whether I want to wait and get the 2008 model. I don't know whether this will be any better. Not bothered about looks just the picture and sound quality so HELP!

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Even if WHF staff have started reviewing the 32" model for the May issue I doubt they'll let on it's results until the mag is out. It's a dilema for me too. Buy now or wait? I guess history shows us that with pure technology like LCD each generation is better. But some companies are not great at implementing it, hence their models are poor in relation to models from Panny, Sony et al... who are good at implementing new tech.

So I guess I'm encouraging you to wait! Not sure I can practice what I preach though, as I really want a new telly by the end of March :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Dazmb.

I don't mind waiting for the newer model as,thankfully, the backlight problem only shows on dark scenes so I can live with it for a while longer if necessary.

Just not sure whether it is worth it ie whether the newer model will be any better? Decisions, decisions!

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Maybe Steve from Panasonic has no 32LXD700's left and is secretly hoping the lure of the brand new model will tempt you?

Ask to take it on trial to see if it meets your expectations and if it doesn't you can take the outgoing model. Very reasonable of them to offer the 'upgrade' all the same.

If I were in your shoes (apart from having sore feet) I'd take a chance but on the terms described above if they're willing to allow it.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both!

No actually Steve does have an LXD700 ready and waiting for me! He is just being incredibly kind and helpful and offered this after I asked whether the LXD700 is being discontinued.

I am not sure whether I can be bothered with the hassle of replacing yet another TV though so would only take the LZD800 if I knew it was better.

I know that the 800 has a contrast ratio of 10000:1 compared with 8000:1 on the 700 but not sure how much of a difference this will make?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the extra hassle only amounts to a longer wait tho doesnt it? and the little info you have so far inplies its better. id wait to see if any mag staff reply, but im still leaning to go for it.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
My only caveat would be that the new-gen 80- and 800 sets are Full HD at 32in - which could mean (depending on the quality of the scaling in the new sets) lower bitrate SD TV channels looking worse.

It may be less of an issue at this screen-size (as would the benefits when watching Full HD content), but thought it was worth mentioning.

It's so hard to tell before we've seen the sets in serious action (as opposed to 10 minutes in a preview demo).

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare.

Do you think I should just get the LXD700 as at least I know the picture quality on this is brilliant whereas with the 800 it may be a bit of a gamble?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Sometimes it is better to stick with the Devil that you know.

IMHO FULL HD at 32"" is a waste of time and the visual benifits are minimal if any. Also was the Upgrade to the new model FREE?
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]
Sometimes it is better to stick with the Devil that you know.

IMHO FULL HD at 32"" is a waste of time and the visual benifits are minimal if any. Also was the Upgrade to the new model FREE?
emotion-15.gif

[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking today!

So think I will just stick with the 32LXD700 for now as I know it is a brilliant TV.

I haven't found out yet whether the upgrade would be for free. Also not sure now whether there is a 32LZD800 which I assume would be the successor to the LXD700 as someone said there isn't?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
That's right - the '800 series (as explained here) is only 37in+

[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up for me Clare.

Would you recommend I just go for another 700 since I am so happy with it apart from the clouding problem? I can't see the 2008 models could be any better?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I really can't make that decision for you - the 2008 set should be better,but there are no guarantees,and there is that Full HD issue previously mentioned (plus who knows what the speakers will be like on the new,slimmer sets).We'll know more once we've tested the set, but we're still waiting on that test sample!

A

Anonymous

I know and I appreciate it that Clare.

Oh decisions, decisions! Still think I may just stick with the 32LXD700 since I know what it is like.

Hopefully, I will be able to get a 32LZD800 in the future.

A

Anonymous

Clare I forgot to ask what the 2008 equivalent of the 32LXD700 will be?

A

Anonymous

I wonder whether the sound will be as good as the 32LXD700? I am glad that it is HD ready as don't really want full HD as only watch SD.

I really quite fancy the 37LZD800 but don't think I will be able to afford this just now. Although this is full HD so don't really want this. Do you know how good the 37LXD85 is?

I keep changing my mind as to whether to get another 32LXD700 or wait for a new model but think I am swayed towards staying with the one I know is good as not enough information is to hand at the moment.

Thanks ever so much for all the advice. Much appreciated as always.

A

Anonymous

they will be better than the old models and the sound is as good as your old one you may as well wait and get the latest model but having said that remember that if you get the old model again it will still have some of the new parts from the new range as when a new model comes out but they still have old models as well the manufacture starts to put parts from the new range into the old range, so your replacement tv may have say the new turner from the new model or speakers or panel etc so even though its still the old model part of it will be the new model.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="crocguy"]
they will be better than the old models and the sound is as good as your old one you may as well wait and get the latest model but having said that remember that if you get the old model again it will still have some of the new parts from the new range as when a new model comes out but they still have old models as well the manufacture starts to put parts from the new range into the old range, so your replacement tv may have say the new turner from the new model or speakers or panel etc so even though its still the old model part of it will be the new model.
[/quote]

WHAT THE F*** YOU ARE TALKING BS, THEY CAN NOT MIX AND MATCH OLD AND NEW PARTS LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
SG, thought I'd let you know - there is already a review of the model that WHF will be reviewing next month floating around on the net. It wasn't totally complimentary tbh. I'm not saying it was reviewed in anyway as thoroughly as Clare and the boys would do. But the reviewer talked about a backward step in terms of black representation - usually a Panny strength.

A

Anonymous

Well I have decided to just stick with 32LXD700 and it should arrive tomorrow!

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated as always.

Could owners of this TV reassure me that it will be easy to install as I have to do it myself this time. Should be okay but I just lack confidence!

A

Anonymous

scots its pretty much automatic setup, once switched on just follow onscreen instructions.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthew s"]
scots its pretty much automatic setup, once switched on just follow onscreen instructions.

[/quote]

I thought it was but many thanks for confirming this.

Unfortunately, the bad weather has delayed the delivery of my replacement TV but, hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Well I got my replacement and it is worse!!!

It doesn't have so much yellow clouding (yet) but there is a lot of backlight bleed which shows as white patches.

Is this likely to improve or do I have another dud?

I am getting to the stage I don't know what to do! The picture quality is stunning but this backlight bleed is doing my head in!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts