Choice to make. Help please!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I am really sorry to hear about your new TV still having a fault, and I can't say if it will get any better. I doubt it though. However, it does once again bring me back to my old hobby horse of CRT technology. I think that manufactures have discarded them far to quickly. I know that people on here will rave about how wonderful new LCD TVS are, but how can that be, when backlight bleed seems to be a constant problem?

As you watch only SD signal it should not be beyond these billion pound company's to provide you with a TV you can watch. I think it is quite appalling, that this is being sold as the new future, when they have not sorted the technology out yet.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Very Annoyed"]
I am really sorry to hear about your new TV still having a fault, and I can't say if it will get any better. I doubt it though. However, it does once again bring me back to my old hobby horse of CRT technology. I think that manufactures have discarded them far to quickly. I know that people on here will rave about how wonderful new LCD TVS are, but how can that be, when backlight bleed seems to be a constant problem?

As you watch only SD signal it should not be beyond these billion pound company's to provide you with a TV you can watch. I think it is quite appalling, that this is being sold as the new future, when they have not sorted the technology out yet.
[/quote]

Well Don't get me started on this again, but thats what I have been saying all along

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Liz sorry your new tv is even worse I know how much it means to you and it must make you feel cr** having looked forward to getting a replacement just to be let down again Panasonic themselves admitted that backlight bleed was a weakness of lcd technology just like the weak blacks etc I still think Panasonic are 1 of the best for tv's and they like other manufactures do their best with the available technology.

My advise and this is not a joke, get a refund, have a look on ebay for a Panasonic 32" Quintrix SR 100hz around 3yrs old they are going for £200 - £350 hook it up with good scarts and you will be amazed at the picture most owners of these tv's will admit they have a better picture than the lcd they have just brought to replace it and you will get at least another 6-10yrs life out of it by which time lcd's maybe as good.

A

Anonymous

Hello both

I must confess I feel like crying as I am so frustrated and really don't know what to do now!

At this rate I will be putting the 'old' one back in as the bleeding isn't so bad on it but still bad!!!

The frustrating this I have 'spoken' to quite a few people with this model of TV and they haven't got this problem at all.

Kitkat there is no way I could lift a 32" CRT! Even if someone put it on the unit for me I would never be able to move it to get to the plugs etc. BTW there was someone on Amazon who exchanged his Panasonic Quintrix for this TV and is delighted with it.

I will contact Steve at Panasonic (he is on holiday until Monday) to see what the says. The problem is they 'checked' this TV before dispatching so are they going to think I am just being over fussy? However, my sister (who is usually oblivious to any faults) can see this!

It is such a shame as the picture quality is amazing.

Watch this space. Again!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

This is one of the reasons why I get very concerned when I hear that Pioneer are going to stop making Plasma screens under 50". If they are bailing out of the technology, will the likes of Panasonic follow?

A world of only LCD TV's AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Think I will go back to radio!
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Plasma's not going anywhere - Panasonic's new factory goes online next year with a capacity of 1m panels a month.

And talking of Panasonic, so sorry to hear you're still having problems with your LCD
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Plasma's not going anywhere - Panasonic's new factory goes online next year with a capacity of 1m panels a month.

And talking of Panasonic, so sorry to hear you're still having problems with your LCD
emotion-6.gif

[/quote]

Thanks Clare. I must confess I am feeling really fed up as I thought the replacment was going to be ok as Panasonic said they checked it. Think they need to go to Specsavers!

If Steve agrees, I thought it might be best to just go back to my 'old' one for now (at least it 'only' has clouding and not backlight bleed!) and wait to see how the new models pan out?

Do you think there is any 32" LCD in the new range with as good picture and sound quality as the 32LXD700 or should I consider Plasma? In which case should I get one of the 07 models or wait for th 08?

Am I right in thinking that the Plasma has a 'softer' picture? It's just that I really like the 'crispness' of the LCD picture.

Sorry for all these questions but my head is in a spin and I really don't know what to do next! I know you can't make this decision for me but I would so much appreciate your expert advice.

Liz
x

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you can fit it in, one of the 37in plasmas might suit you better - would Panasonic do an exchange for you? And I certainly don't think the best plasmas are 'softer' - less bright, maybe, but no less 'crisp'.

A

Anonymous

emotion-6.gif

[/quote]

Well, I hope you are right, but when the market leader pulls the plug, I fear others may follow . Before I came on this site, most of the people I know would have me believe that LCD is much better than Plasma. As a matter of interest do you know what the % of Plasma tv's are sold, to LCD. Is it about 1 plasma to 3 LCD?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="oeurf"]Scotsgirl why not get a refund and change it for a Sony? ;)[/quote]

Are they any better? I heard they were prone to clouding?

A

Anonymous

If you can fit it in, one of the 37in plasmas might suit you better - would Panasonic do an exchange for you? And I certainly don't think the best plasmas are 'softer' - less bright, maybe, but no less 'crisp'.

[/quote]

I'm not sure but will ask. To be honest though I would be happier if I could stay with a 32"LCD as it fits my room nicely and I wouldn't need to buy replacement scart lead and HDmi cable.

If only I could get one which didn't have (or at least hardly any) backlight bleed and no clouding. Surely not too much to ask!

Clare when you do reviews do you check out a blank channel for backlight bleed etc?

I suppose the 08 models will be just as prone to this as the 07 models?

I really don't feel like trawling through reviews again as I did this with the 32LXD700 and thought I had chosen one of the best sets. Well it would be if it didn't have this problem!

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Do you think if we all started asking for a new crt Panasonic would start making them again....... We can all dream can't we.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Very Annoyed"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

emotion-6.gif

[/quote]

Well, I hope you are right, but when the market leader pulls the plug, I fear others may follow . Before I came on this site, most of the people I know would have me believe that LCD is much better than Plasma. As a matter of interest do you know what the % of Plasma tv's are sold, to LCD. Is it about 1 plasma to 3 LCD?

[/quote]

Pioneer may be the quality leader, but it's nowhere near the market leader in terms of sales - Panasonic's number 1 in plasma, followed by Samsung and LG (and possibly others still before you get to Pioneer - premium niche player).

I've got the figures for plasma vs LCD figures at work - will be back up here with the numbers (though you have to remember they're very skewed by the fact that LCD dominates the small-screen market with plasma at the extreme high end).

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Scotsgirl"][quote user="oeurf"]Scotsgirl why not get a refund and change it for a Sony? ;)[/quote]

Are they any better? I heard they were prone to clouding?[/quote]

The Sony KDL-32D3000 is very nearly as good as the Panasonic, good blacks, very good detailed picture and just like the Panasonic it is 100hz so no motion blurring, it also has S-Force virtual surround sound so very like your old tv and around the same price, my brother has one of the older Sony lcd's and I can honestly say I have never seen any backlight bleed on it or clounding problems and it is one tv I would consider and I am very fussy.

Panasonic may give you a full refund I really don't know its a bit of a gray area but if you don't ask you don't get.

Good luck Liz.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kitkat"][quote user="Scotsgirl"][quote user="oeurf"]Scotsgirl why not get a refund and change it for a Sony? ;)[/quote]

Are they any better? I heard they were prone to clouding?[/quote]

The Sony KDL-32D3000 is very nearly as good as the Panasonic, good blacks, very good detailed picture and just like the Panasonic it is 100hz so no motion blurring, it also has S-Force virtual surround sound so very like your old tv and around the same price, my brother has one of the older Sony lcd's and I can honestly say I have never seen any backlight bleed on it or clounding problems and it is one tv I would consider and I am very fussy.

Panasonic may give you a full refund I really don't know its a bit of a gray area but if you don't ask you don't get.

Good luck Liz.[/quote]

Ta Colin.

I will have a look at the Sony thanks although I really wish I could get a Panasonic which had no (or minimal) backlight problems.
I forgot that one of the reasons I don't want a Plasma is because of reflections on the screen and my Tv is situated next to a window.

My decision (I think) is to keep the 'old' TV until all the new models are available and then see what the good people of WhatHiFi recommend and try exchanging for one of those.

Does this seem like a good idea?

A

Anonymous

Me again!

I've just read that Panasonic Plasmas have an anti-glare filter? Is this correct and, if so, will this stop reflections?
Also do they consume a lot of power as I watch TV about six hours of Tv a day!

I will need to get some dimensions of the new Plasmas to see whether they will fit in the space I have.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi Scots. Have you seen LG 32LB75, nice colour and great picture. Actually, got 5 stars in January issue of WHFSV, but a 4 star in the supertest. Last week, i had a demo of Panasonic LXD700, i really loved it, decided to buy Panasonic, but after your problems, am thinking if there is some flaw in Panasonic 32" LXD version, can i go ahead with Panasonic still or consider LG ? thanx.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vinod_david"]Hi Scots. Have you seen LG 32LB75, nice colour and great picture. Actually, got 5 stars in January issue of WHFSV, but a 4 star in the supertest. Last week, i had a demo of Panasonic LXD700, i really loved it, decided to buy Panasonic, but after your problems, am thinking if there is some flaw in Panasonic 32" LXD version, can i go ahead with Panasonic still or consider LG ? thanx.[/quote]

It's not easy to know what to do as there are a lot of people with Panasonic LCDs who have no backlight problem so I still think there has been a batch with faulty panels and I have been unlucky enough to get two of them!

I still want to stay with Pansonic as, apart from this, the picture quality is truly stunning. I have decided to wait for the new models and give LCD one more chance and if I am unlucky to get another one with bad backlight bleed then I will , reluctantly, change to Plasma.

Despite my problems I would still recommend Panasonic TVs.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I changed 3 sets LX700 and they all had the same problem, i think with the new models the problem will be rectified, if so will ask for a replacement.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amor"]
Hi,

I changed 3 sets LX700 and they all had the same problem, i think with the new models the problem will be rectified, if so will ask for a replacement.
[/quote]
Sorry to hear that you are having the same problem.It is a real pain as it spoils such a great TV.

How bad is it on the TV you have now?

If you do get a replacment I would be ever so grateful if you could let me know what you think of it as I don't know what to do now!

Not sure which of the new sets have similar specs as the LXD700? I would like another HD Ready set with great sound so no separate sound system is needed.

A

Anonymous

it's very obvious with bright scenes, iam trying to get use to it but i can't, i can't tell you how bad it is but it's annoying.

Regarding the new models, my main concern that it have to be 100hz the same as the lx700

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problem with the panny, it must be so frustrating.

Interesting thread especially as I have been considering the same set.

Question: What is back light bleeding and how is it recognised?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bf1"]
Sorry to hear of your problem with the panny, it must be so frustrating.

Interesting thread especially as I have been considering the same set.

Question: What is back light bleeding and how is it recognised?
[/quote]

Mine seems to be more what is called 'clouding' where you can see areas of yellow clouds which come through on dark scenes.

With the replacment there were areas of backlight bleed as well which showed as white patches.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts